• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Combine Classic with Cloud: how to sync renamed directories?

vanzadelhoff

Joost
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
My set up: use Classic as basis. Why? I want to have files local/Nas. I am syncing to the Cloud app to see my pictures. Star ratings on Cloud will sync back to desktop. But: can I rename directories in Cloud and get it synced back to desktop? Not only in the sync file on desktop, but in the root directory on my NAS? It seems that I cannot. Any ideas/work arounds?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Not sure what you're asking here. If by "directories" you mean the physical folders on your NAS, they do not exist in the cloud apps....so there's nothing there to rename and sync back. All that you have in the cloud apps are "albums", which are the equivalent of "collections" in Classic (i.e. they are virtual entities, not physical entities). Ditto with "Folders" in the cloud apps, which are the equivalent of "collection sets" in Classic. Album names in the cloud DO sync to collections names in Classic, so renaming in either app will sync to the other, but "folders" in the cloud do NOT sync with "collection sets" in Classic, so renaming either will have no effect on the other.

vanzadelhoff

Joost
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Not sure what you're asking here. If by "directories" you mean the physical folders on your NAS, they do not exist in the cloud apps....so there's nothing there to rename and sync back. All that you have in the cloud apps are "albums", which are the equivalent of "collections" in Classic (i.e. they are virtual entities, not physical entities). Ditto with "Folders" in the cloud apps, which are the equivalent of "collection sets" in Classic. Album names in the cloud DO sync to collections names in Classic, so renaming in either app will sync to the other, but "folders" in the cloud do NOT sync with "collection sets" in Classic, so renaming either will have no effect on the other.
OK, understood, many thanks! Any possibility to sync renamed Collections names back into my Catalogue?

vanzadelhoff

Joost
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Yes. As I said, albums in the cloud sync with collections in Classic, any changes made to one will be synced to the other.
OK Jim. But why does not Classic change these names in the 'root': my Catalogue? So from Cloud to Collections and back to to 'Maps'

Umberto Cocca

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
If with 'maps' you mean folder, it is because a collection is independent from folders. The cloud app knows only collections, doesn't know where physically those files are stored.
You can have a collection named "Flowers" and the photos (which are of flowers) do not need to come from the same folder in the hard drive.
Hope this helps clarifying the difference between folders and album/collections.

Sent using Tapatalk

vanzadelhoff

Joost
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Thanks Umberto (and Jim). It clarifies the system. Just posted another question.