lbeck

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
This query is similar to the one that I posted here a few months ago but different enough that I decided to post. Forgive me if this is considered a re-post.

I'm continuing to optimize my major catalog and have kept some archives along the way. Recently, I purchased a better slide scanner and have used it to re-scan a thousand or so of my favorite old 35mm slides (thanks COVID). Now I have a separate catalog of slides that are of higher resolution and many of which I have further edited to provide much better catalog entries.

Is there some way to integrate this collection of revised (enhanced) photos and keep the keywords and/or facial recognitions from the older to-be-discarded ones? If not, I'll simply recreate keywords (and facial recognition). I'll keep the collection of re-scanned slides as a separate catalog.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

So let's throw a question back at you. Why would you not want to do a File > Import from Another Catalog and bring that catalogue and metadata into the main one?

So let's throw a question back at you. Why would you not want to do a File > Import from Another Catalog and bring that catalogue and metadata into the main one?
Thanks, John.

Yes - we all have our quirks regarding file handling.

I scanned my 35mm slide collection (mid-'90) and have integrated them into my "master" catalog. Given that I'm a fan of keywords and facial recognition I use these to identify photos of family. Recently I found an inexpensive slide scanner, purchased it, and re-scanned a couple thousand slides. Rather than risk over-writing files on my master I chose to develop a separate catalog of the new imports. With some free time I also did some advanced editing. The Lr program was not available to me during my original imports .

Now I find myself with a decision to keep the original photo or to integrate the higher quality images into my Master. To do the integration I lose keywords - or do I??

Now I find myself with a decision to keep the original photo or to integrate the higher quality images into my Master. To do the integration I lose keywords - or do I??

That's what prompts my question - why would you not import those new scans into Master by using File > Import from Another Catalogue and import the new scan catalogue? After all, this does bring in their keywords.

You're left with both groups of images recorded in the main catalogue, with their own keywords. Maybe give the poorer versions a colour label or some other way to tell yourself that they might be deleted, or you coold decide to keep some for subtle differences that seem worthwhile, but you can make such decisions at your leisure while knowing that everything is under control in the main catalogue.

this does bring in their keywords.
That is my assumption. Importing the new and improved images will bring in their zero keywords and I'll have a catalog with duplicate (nearly) images with keywords attached only to the old poor quality images.

I was hoping that I missed some process where I could copy keywords FROM the old images TO the new ones bulk-wise with a plugin like ListView, Find Duplicates or some other program. Then I would delete the old images. Given your comments and expertise, I'm now thinking that isn't possible.

Fortunately, I've kept the filenames of the new images the same as the old images. So what I may do is to import them and then do a sort by filename to bring up old/new side-by-side. I'll then group all of the old images and add a keyword "Revision available". This will allow me to do a keyword search for e.g., Aunt Mary that will return all of the old images with that keyword AND the notation that a revision is available if appropriate. As time and boredom coincide I'll cut-and-paste all the keywords from the old slide to the improved image and delete the revised one.

Thanks for helping me to think through this.

As the files have matching names, my Syncomatic could copy keywords (and other metadata) between them.

Thanks, John. Syncomatic would likely work most of my objectives. I have this in my quiver of arrows. I'm still evaluating options.

Lee

Another idea might be to manually (ie in Explorer) move those better scans and paste over the poorer ones. I suggest move because it helps you keep track of them - when the better scans folder is empty, you're done. Then back in LR, select the scans (it doesn't matter if you select others which weren't improved) and do a Save Metadata followed by a Read Metadata - the Read will update the previews, the Save first will prevent you blanking out the keywords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back