• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Colour Enhance Momentarily when advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

magician john

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi,

When I forward from one photo to the next,In Library mode, the new photo's colour is distinctly brighter for about one second than it fades.
Why is this and can I do anything to either prevent this or to keep the enhanced colour?

If these are RAW files, then the first image that you see is the JPEG thumbnail form the camera processing. RAW files are not RGB image files but photo site data. On import Lightroom Classic converts the RAW to RGB and uses basic application of tone, sharpening and Noise reduction. From that, LrC creates thumbnails and these are your starting point for RAW image development. You should be able to exceed the quality of the Jpeg as the camera processor is most basic.

If these are RAW files, then the first image that you see is the JPEG thumbnail form the camera processing. RAW files are not RGB image files but photo site data. On import Lightroom Classic converts the RAW to RGB and uses basic application of tone, sharpening and Noise reduction. From that, LrC creates thumbnails and these are your starting point for RAW image development. You should be able to exceed the quality of the Jpeg as the camera processor is most basic.
Thanks Cletus,
They are indeed RAW field from my camera.
U understand that the first time you view them after importing them that this may happen, but it happens every time I go through them. Is this normal and is this dependant on the type of Previews used? I have mine on 1 :1?
Thanks again.

Thanks Cletus,
They are indeed RAW field from my camera.
U understand that the first time you view them after importing them that this may happen, but it happens every time I go through them. Is this normal and is this dependant on the type of Previews used? I have mine on 1 :1?
Thanks again.
Once Lightroom Classic has a preview AFTER import and you edit the images, you should only see the edit adjusted image. If you think this is happening every time, try this as a test: Edit one image and change it to B&W using the Develop module. If you go through these images again in the Library module you should only see that image as B&W. This tells you that LrC is using the most recent set of previews. LrC uses the Previews it needs for the view that is requested. On import, I only build Minimal previews, reserving 1:1 previews for LrC to create the first time I enter Develop 1:1 view . My RAW NEFs are 8256X5504 and neither of my monitors are that large. So I rarely look at or need to see 1:1 detail. Building previews on import that are not likely going to be used if I end up deleting 20% of the imported images just after first review, takes too much processing time that is not productive.

Once Lightroom Classic has a preview AFTER import and you edit the images, you should only see the edit adjusted image. If you think this is happening every time, try this as a test: Edit one image and change it to B&W using the Develop module. If you go through these images again in the Library module you should only see that image as B&W. This tells you that LrC is using the most recent set of previews. LrC uses the Previews it needs for the view that is requested. On import, I only build Minimal previews, reserving 1:1 previews for LrC to create the first time I enter Develop 1:1 view . My RAW NEFs are 8256X5504 and neither of my monitors are that large. So I rarely look at or need to see 1:1 detail. Building previews on import that are not likely going to be used if I end up deleting 20% of the imported images just after first review, takes too much processing time that is not productive.
Thanks have desaturated one and when going through the photos, it keeps it as that. Maybe it is more obvious on some as the birds are a reddish colour and the intensity is more obvious that a lot of the darker, grey birds which tends to be most of the Uk Waders.
In terms of the Previews, I often take 500 shots of similar birds and go through in Library model to delete some. Then go throng again and again until I am happy to end up with my best ones. If I change the Previews to Minimal, what in fact will this have on this process and being able to spot which is best from my eyes and perspective?

If Lightroom does not have the preview size that it needs when you request an image, it will pause briefly to build one. The same pause happens when it does have the right size preview and it is marked out of date. The lag is so slight that you will probably not notice. Also LrC is working ahead and preloading the next image preview in the background if it can anticipate/predict which image in the collection/folder you might want next.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back