• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2018 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes Custom Develop Panel Order, Snap to Grid in the Book module and more. Lightroom CC has lots of little improvements, including a face rectangle in People view on the desktop and Sharing improvements on Android. The Lightroom Queen eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

colour banding in gradient

Ruth

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Hi all, I am having trouble to remove banding from a gradient (gradient was used for the sky of a landscape photo). I have tried to decrease clarity and increase grain, but I am not really satisfied with the result. The banding mostly disappears when I increase the grain to 20+, but it compromises the quality of the photos. The photo is going to be printed in A3, and it would be nice to have a smooth gradient on the print. Thanks!

LouieSherwin

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Hi Ruth,

It is not uncommon to see banding in image preview as you edit especially in broad expanses of sky (blue). This can either be with how the Color Management System (CMS) is dealing blue tones that are beyond the range (gamut) that your monitor can display. Or it could be due to the fact that there is a limited rang of blue in the original image.

Is the original image raw or perhaps JPEG?

-louie

Ruth

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
Hi Louie, thanks for your reply! The photo is in RAW format, and the gradient is subsequetly added with the lightroom linear gradient filter. The banding does not only show up in the preview, but also is seen on a test print, thus it is independent from the monitor. If the banding is caused because the colour is beyond the gamut, than changing the colour slightly might help? I changed the blue tones in the sky by using the lightroom option to give highlights and shades different colour tones. Thanks!

LouieSherwin

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
The photo is in RAW format, and the gradient is subsequetly added with the lightroom linear gradient filter.
In that case you should back off the settings you are using in your Graduated Filter. Whatever they are they are creating highly saturated blues that simply not able to be rendered. Saturated blues are particularly difficult and banding is often a symptom of poorly constructed profiles.

If this is an ongoing problem than it would warrant a deep look at your CMS components from your monitor, colorimeter, printer and print output profiles. Upgrading any or all of these elements could dramatically improve your ability to make pleasing edits.

The place to start is with your monitor and monitor profiles. What monitor do you use and how do you make your monitor profiles now?

Also if you wish you could export the image you are having difficulty with to a DNG and be sure to include all the develop settings and put it in DropBox or other file sharing site and I will be glad to upload it and take a look to see if what is going on.

-louie

PS I am going to move this topic over to the Editing Photos in Lightroom forum

Ruth

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
CC Cloud
I just reset all gradient changes to the photo and started from scratch, backed off the gradient and used a slightly different toning to it, and it is looking much better. Thanks a lot once more!