Colorspace Issue between LR & CS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammer88

Hi everyone,

First post on LR Forums. I did some browsing & searching through the forum and didn't find an exact answer so here goes. I noticed that images look different to me in Lightroom versus my CS3. So I guess reading this forum, I've learned that LR uses ProPhotoRGB and I'm guessing my CS3 is not using it.

So my question is what should I do to resolve this difference? Can I make my CS3 use the same colorspace? I noticed that the colorspace in my CS3 is more like what I would see on the web.

If I export a image out of LR and specify the sRGB colorspace, will it look the same as it does in LR or will it be completely different? I just don't want to make adjustments in LR that don't resemble what they would look like outside of the LR.

Thanks for any help.

i'll have to double check the setting... the yellow one (more natural to me) is the LR screen captured image. the blue toned image is the export from LR. i named the files accordingly. the export i can make sure has the colorspace tagged in it.

the screen capture i pasted into CS3. what's the best way to make sure the colorspace tag is applied on save? i forget if i was using the save for web function.

No worries Brad. I think this is definitely going to take combined brains!!!

At this point I'm most interested in the LR export being colour space tagged to confirm that it's definitely not getting confused on colour spaces, so don't tick 'minimize metadata' in the export dialog.

It's tough to colour match a screenshot as Windows isn't particularly helpful on colour management. Easiest solution I guess - open the screenshot file in PS, convert from whatever-it-thinks-it's-in to sRGB, and then float that PS window over LR and check they still match - and then upload here.

okay.. here we go... i think i did do a "save for web" last night because of the forum's attachment size limit. both of these photos should now be tagged with the metadata.

I made sure the screen capture was done in a RGB workspace and when i saved it as a jpg it did it as sRGB colorspace. I tried what you said to open the screen capture jpeg in LR to make sure they don't look the same... Sure enough, they don't. The LR interpretation of the jpeg was yellower...

Okay... the left one should be filename DSC_'227_LR_screencapture.jpg (the one that is the yellower of the two and the one i like more). the one on the right should be filename DSC_'227_Export.jpg and that is the directly exported from LR with the sRGB colorspace selected.

If there's anymore information i can provide, please let me know...

just for completeness, i included my current settings...

is something getting altered when i attach them? i can right click, go to properties and see all the data for these files that are on my local disk...

is there a specific tag(s) that i can post the info for?

OK try this.

Is the source file RAW? (I'm not sure it makes a diff, just trying to figure out where we are.)

Get it the way you want it in LR, the warmer yellower version.
Export to sRGB JPEG 1''% to a new filename.
Import the 'exported' jpeg into the same folder with the original.

Use Compare View (C) . (or, Library Menu > View > Compare).

Those two should be identical. Get a screen shot of that side by side if you can.

Thanks for the quick responses Brad!! Here it is side by side. Amazingly the export does not look the same as the file when I import it back into LR...

The image on the right is the export.

I attached my export settings as well...

That's 'like, totally whack, dood!'

I don't understand that at all. I certainly take your word that the compares are different, but something may have gone on with your u/l, the attachment doesn't seem to be there.

doh.. it's the upload limit that snagged me again... here it is...

Brad Snyder;1151' said:
That's 'like, totally whack, dood!'

I don't understand that at all. I certainly take your word that the compares are different, but something may have gone on with your u/l, the attachment doesn't seem to be there.

THey look identical to me! Except on is slightly smaller, on the left.

Don

it's very close.. but the export (right) is slightly yellower. not as obvious as the blue vs yellow tinted diff in the other attachments. the size diff is just because of export size.

THey look identical to me! Except on is slightly smaller, on the left.

Don

Ok, 2 more thoughts then... there's not as big a difference as I was expecting, so that's a good start.

Now what happens if you export to ProPhotoRGB and import that back into LR (import preset set to None, obviously!)

And how close are those tones to clipping if you look at them in Photoshop? That could be a large colour space to small colour space issue if the difference isn't as great.

Here you go... the proRGB export brought back into LR w/ the compare screen capture. there may be a diff, but it's hard for me to see...

any thoughts as to why photoshop is seeing it so differently?

Ok, 2 more thoughts then... there's not as big a difference as I was expecting, so that's a good start.

Now what happens if you export to ProPhotoRGB and import that back into LR (import preset set to None, obviously!)

And how close are those tones to clipping if you look at them in Photoshop? That could be a large colour space to small colour space issue if the difference isn't as great.

Ok, good. We're narrowing it down.

So what happens if you open the ProPhoto export in PS? Still a completely different colour, or the same?

If that ProPhoto exported file looks different in PS as it does in LR, we need to be looking seriously at your monitor profile. At that point, I'd be tempted to remove your monitor profile, restart the computer to make doubly-sure that it's gone, and recalibrate.

If it looks the same.... hmmm, well, we'll deal with that if it happens!

okay... so i opened the export in cs3. it prompts me to pick the colorspace because the embedded prophotoRGB is inconsistent w/ the sRGB defined in the settings (thanks to your instructions for setting that up).

they both (proRGB or sRGB) gave the image a blue tint. so i guess it's time to discard the profile, eh? please show me the way!!!! :cheesy::cheesy:

It's a good long while since I was last working seriously on Windows Rich, so I'm going from a foggy memory....

It's something along the lines of...
Go to start > control panel > display > the last tab I think (settings?) > press the advanced button... then it gets much foggier, but you need to go looking for the color management section, select the current profile and hit remove. I'd then restart the computer personally, just to make sure it's cleared. Then recalibrate as normal. And hope for the best.

Hopefully Brad will be along with some slightly more useful Windows instructions! :roll:

what's recalibrate "as normal"? :eek: do i need some fancy external calibration tools?... ignore me for now... working through the link u posted. we crossed in the bits... hehe.

we're getting so close i can taste the colors!!!! okay... so i followed that AWESOME link you sent and set my monitor color profile to sRGB (added it in as the article states)... now that i think of it, i think CS3 complained that my monitor profile was corrupt when i installed it way back when.

so after a change in profile, the images look fine because everything is in the sRGB space. BUT.. big BUT... what will other people see. I went and looked back at my attachments on this thread and they look for the most part fine.. no more heavy blue tint. But on my ibm x6' laptop here... they still look bluish.

so... do i now need to grab a clean dell 2''5fpw default profile for everything to be good good?

here's the test i guess... this was exported after the profile...

thumb.gif
A lovely shot, now!
thumb.gif

Don

Thanks Don for the verification. Victoria & Brad & Don...

THANK YOU GUYS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!
YOU GUYS RULE!!!!

Please let me know what you think about the default profile.

Hopefully this thread will keep somebody else from pulling out their hairs. :) If nothing else, I've spammed this forum with my family pic! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back