Color space issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

IllusiveDreams

Hello everyone. Im new to forum and this is my first post. Ive been using lightroom since it first came out. Downloaded the trial and then bought it out right. Have since upgraded to 1.3. I also have adobe photoshop CS3 extended. Im using a toshiba P2'5-6347 for my editing as Im always mobile. It has a Core 2 Duo 1.66 process with 2 gigs of Ram and onboard intel 965 chipset for video. I also recently purchased Sypder2Pro to calibrate my screen. Now comes the issue.

Before calibration I would export files and they would look good to me in lightroom or photoshop but once opened on a different computer other then my own, they would be rather dark but the luster or edits I made seemed to be there. This would happen when I printed straight from lightroom as well. Thats why I wanted to calibrate my screen. I created a color space called generic pnp monitor which was the default name is suggested. Previously exported files Ive opened in photoshop for watermarking and minor adjustments seem to loose their pop/luster and seem desaturated (i use that loosely) compared to whats visible in photoshop or lightroom with photoshop set to the colorspace I created after calibration.

Im not quite sure what Im doing wrong. I understand lightroom may interpret the image differently, but shouldnt they look the same across the board when editing or viewing? With my luck, Im probably wrong. I cant attach any samples because they are too big and i dont have a way to edit them to a smaller size where Im at. Ill have to wait a couple hours till I get home.

Thanks in advance for advise and input.

Welcome to the forum Jason.

If you need your images to be viewed by other computers or on the web you should ensure you export in sRGB color space. Lightroom works in ProPhotoRGB and if you export in this color space or AdobeRGB then the other user will also have to have a properly calibrated/ profiled monitor to view the images as you see them. In addition many image viewers are not color managed so its best to use the sRGB color space which is compatable with most systems and programs.

I do export in sRGB. Thats what doesnt make sense. I just want them to look correct in all formats and at this present time, they are not doing that. The sRGB colorspace setting in photoshop (or if used to export jpgs in lightroom), was why they looked good on my screen but dark on everything else.

The first image Ive attached was edited in lightroom and exported to jpg before the calibration and the second was edited in lightroom (same virtual image), exported into jpg, opened in photoshop and watermark added then saved for web as jpg with no decrease in quality.

To me the second lost its luster and the first looks good but to dark on other machines.

WTF...so they are both dark? How do they appear to you? Im using a Vista machine with IE7. Is IE not color managed? But the "norm" is IE.

Personally, I prefer the first image as it pops.

Here's something to try, in case you are losing colour detail between LR and PS. I don't have PS so someone else please jump in with the correct colour management setup for it if my steps below are not quite right.

1. Check your external editing preferences for the Edit in Adobe Photoshop option within Lightroom are set to PSD for the file format and ProPhoto RGB for the colour space.

2. Get the photo to look how you want it in Lightroom.

3. Use Lightroom's Edit in Photoshop to transfer the image. If Photoshop complains about the colour space, tell it to use the one in the photo. You don't want to convert at this stage.

4. Add your watermark in Photoshop.

5. With both images now back in Lightroom, do they look the same on screen? They should.

6. Export both images from Lightroom using the same file format (JPEG), quality (to suit) and colour space (sRGB) for both. They should both look the same in the JPEG viewer of your choice .

7. If you want to emulate Photoshop's save for web using Lightroom, all you should need to do is export the watermarked photo as JPEG with sRGB as the colour space, quality to suit, size to suit and check the Minimize Embedded Metadata checkbox on the export dialog.

Finally, don't expect every other computer to display the photo exactly as you see it on your screen unless they are also calibrated correctly and using a colour managed viewer. Most will not be and their owners will not care. Sad but true.

Finally Finally, I thought IE7 was colour managed on Vista although it definitely is not on XP. Perhaps there is a setting that needs turned on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back