• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Color not showing as expected on Flickr and Behance

Status
Not open for further replies.

prbimages

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have a color (colour)-related problem which I am trying to understand, and would appreciate any help I can get. This is my procedure:

I take a photo which I intend to publish on Flickr, and in Photoshop do "Convert to Profile" to convert to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 (from ProPhoto RGB). I then add a border whose colour I specify as R:16 G:16 B:16 (#101010) - this is a very dark gray, almost but not quite black. I then do a "Save for Web" to save as a JPG file. In the past I have always ticked the "Embed Color Profile" box, as I believed this was generally accepted best practice; but I also believed that it shouldn't make any difference, since web browsers should assume the sRGB colour space if there is not one embedded in the file.

I have just discovered, however, that when viewing the online image on both Flickr and Behance, that the border colour turns out to be R:23 G:23 B:23 (#171717). I measured this by taking a screenshot of the Flickr and Behance pages and loading them into Photoshop, and using the eyedropper tool to test the colour.

However, if I untick the "Embed Color Profile" box when saving the JPG version, then the border colour comes out correct, at #101010.

Why am I getting these different results? And specifically, why does the procedure which I thought was best practice, produce an incorrect colour?

Any and all ideas welcome!

What you have no control over is how Flikr or Behance treats images that they display and you have no way of knowing if your (calibrated) monitor is sending a 101010 signal to a pixel or a 171717. The only way to be certain IMO would be to inspect the pixel value of the file sent to Flickr or Behance vs the pixel value of the downloaded copy of the image received from Flickr or Behance (IOW) take the monitor out of the data flow.

You can create a small JPG file of just border and upload that. Then using a hex editor inspect the files sent and received

Thanks Cletus. It turns out that this is a browser issue. Your post prompted me to download the JPG files which Flickr was serving back to me (which I could figure out by looking at the web page source code). I downloaded two of my own files, one of which had an embedded colour profile, and one which did not. I opened these files directly in my browser, and as before, the one without the colour profile displayed correctly, while the one with the colour profile showed distorted colour. I then opened the two files in Photoshop, and the colour in both files was correct. So it seemed that Flickr was handling the files well enough; the browser was causing the problem.

Next step: try different browsers. I had been using Mozilla Firefox; I tried Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. In both Chrome and Edge the colours showed correctly for both files. Going back to the original web pages, both Chrome and Edge showed correct colours. Only Firefox was doing something wrong. I did a quick web search and found a few references to colour issues in Firefox, so my issue may be part of a known problem.

Conclusion: Mozilla Firefox has a problem representing colour correctly in certain circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back