• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • The February 2020 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic has a brand new Defaults system, the ability to set a specific monitor for the secondary window and PSB format support. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has the ability to import presets on Android, DNG export and Split View support on iPadOS. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.

Collections failing to import

Monty

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I am a new member of the Forum though an avid Lightroom user and follower of this website.

Forgive me for asking FAQ but I haven't been able to see this addressed anywhere. Here's the problem. I have been on a holiday abroad uploading photos every day to a temporary LR4 catalogue (let's call it Iceland2012) on my MacBook. Being a good boy, I have been keywording and creating a series of nested Collections e.g. Iceland/Waterfalls/Gullfoss etc.

Back home. I exported the catalogue to an external drive with the archive files. I then opened my main LR4 catalogue on my MacPro and successfully imported the Iceland2012 catalogue. However, none of the collections appear anywhere and I have been recreating them which is a pain.

Is this a known issue or have I suffered yet another Senior Moment?

Monty

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi Monty, welcome to the forum.

Ordinary collections (Smart and/or Static) should transfer using the export/import catalog function, though Publish Service collections will not transfer. So if you are referring to 'ordinary' collections that should have worked, so we probably need a bit more information about how you did the export/import, i.e. when you exported did you do a full catalog export, or just a subset? Ditto for the import, anything unusual happen there?

I've just run a test on LR4 and all collections exported, and then were imported OK (but into a clean catalog, though don't see why that should matter). Am a bit puzzled really....

Monty

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Thanks for the swift and helpful response, Jim

I exported only a group of selected folders with the holiday snaps, it wasn't a full catalogue export. I can understand why the collections didnt go come through. Were I to create a new export would the import ignore the duplicates or should I delete everything and start afresh?

Monty
Cameras - 5D, 5D2, G11 and too many lenses
Back - sore

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
If you were to rerun the export, suggest you either do a full export, or rather than select folders try selecting the complete set of the collections that you created and export those as a catalog. May work. When you import the new catalog, any duplicate photos should be ignored. Best take a backup of your master catalog first, just in case....

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
When you import the new catalog, any duplicate photos should be ignored.
Most of the time... The exception to this is if there are different adjustments to both the image on the master catalog and on the import catalog. In that special instance, LR will make a Virtual Copy of one of the adjustments and the other adjustments will become the master. In no case will you lose adjustment data and as long as the folder structure is the same, you will not duplicate image data. The Import drom Catalog dialog gives the user lots of control over duplicates and the disposition of the Digital negatives being imported.

Monty

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Many thanks everyone

I'll have a go and report back.

Monty

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I have now re-exported and imported the complete catalogue but the Collections still are nowhere to be seen. I'm completely foxed but, like most problems, will use this as an opportunity to re-do the whole thing under less pressure. I'm disappointed by this as I now feel it is a problem with LR rather than me.

However, thanks everyone for your help.

Monty