• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Lightroom Classic 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (desktop) and Lightroom CC 4.0 (mobile) have just gone live. My books are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Collections and Portfolio

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Syncing was suggested to me on another thread so I'm investigating it. I have searched and can't find the answer. I found the basic instructions but have not tried it to see if there are other steps along the way. If I'm sending files directly to Portfolio what happens to them? These are CR2 files that have no export sharpening, etc applied. They must be Smart Previews because I can't see CR2 files taking up cloud space.

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I have not investigated Portfolio, but files that are sync'd from Classic to the cloud are SmartPreviews (lossy DNGs) I suspect the same files are sent to Portfolio.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Now I recall there was a post here somewhere saying it was SmartPreviews and your edits area included, which makes sense. I was actually wondering if there was additional rendering in the background we don't know about. Missing export sharpening does not appeal to me. Unless there is something else I doubt I'll use that process even if it more convenient.

Thanks Cletus.

johnbeardy

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Portfolio will be displaying JPEGs which have been generated from whatever you have synced. So Classic will be syncing smart previews. and Adobe's server will then be applying the export sharpening.

I guess you could prove it by downloading the JPEG from Portfolio - depending on your browser there are a few ways to do this and get around any protection. You could then compare the JPEG with the smart preview that was synced, for example by opening it in Photoshop using the LRPhotos panel. This downloads the smart preview as a DNG, so you would get a file with the capture sharpening but not the export sharpening.

Personally, I have never noticed an issue with this - the photos appear properly sharp. However, I have seen posterization especially in skies, but I am unsure whether to blame this on Adobe using the P3 profile rather than sRGB (I think I may have found that a year or two ago) or simply on the quality settings and the resulting compression.

Zenon

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
That is interesting. Obviously it has to resize to some standard size as well. Pretty easy to automate and the algorithms already exist. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for the info.