• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Collection Organization

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpirazzi

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Latest LRC and LRM
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. Android
Not sure why I waited so long to start using collections, but until syncing to the cloud came along I never really used them. Now, my use of collections has grown to the point where I need to get organized (why did I wait so long...).

Aside from using the collection filter and collection sets, how do you organize your collections? Similar to keyword hierarchy, based on workflow, by project, or ? Hoping to dial in a system that lets me find/manage/share images quickly and easily.

Thanks, Dave

Not sure why I waited so long to start using collections, but until syncing to the cloud came along I never really used them. Now, my use of collections has grown to the point where I need to get organized (why did I wait so long...).

Aside from using the collection filter and collection sets, how do you organize your collections? Similar to keyword hierarchy, based on workflow, by project, or ? Hoping to dial in a system that lets me find/manage/share images quickly and easily.

Thanks, Dave

I only use Smart Collections a modified version of John Beardsworth’s Workflow Smart Collections. » Workflow smart collections

I also use Smart Publish Services extensively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I organize my collections by project, purpose, client…that sort of thing, trying to take advantage of the fact that it is not necessary to duplicate folder organization or organization that is easily done by leveraging metadata (date, location, keywords…).

I often use Smart Collections as starting points for more permanently curated Collections. For example, a Smart Collection can pick up all 1245 images tagged “car,” and from that set I can drag just 10 relevant images to a collection like “Car photo slideshow for 10/15 presentation”.

But having used Lightroom Classic since version 1, my list of collections is now extremely long, which makes it more difficult to return easily to the most frequently used collections just by scrolling the list. Three things that streamline that are:
  • Remembering that recently viewed collections (and folders) are listed in the Recent Sources/Favorite Sources pop-up menu at the top of the filmstrip, so sources I were working in over the last day or so are always in that menu.
  • Adding frequently used collections as Favorites in that same menu, because Favorites are persistent.
  • Setting the Color Label of a collection, to more easily pick it out of a long list in the Collections panel.
All of those are relatively hidden, and difficult for new users to discover. If you don’t already know about them, you see the Recents/Favorites menu by clicking the path at the top of the Filmstrip (or right-clicking anywhere at the top of the Filmstrip), and you set the Color Label by right-clicking a collection and choosing Add Color Label to Folder > [color].

I think the "best" answer is to use them in whaterver way makes your life easier. For some this could be by subject, for others by project, for others by workflow step, for others by who knows what. If you find that your needs include several different organizational types then make a Collection Set for each. For example: "By Subject", or "By Projecte", Etc. and put the relevent collections under these collection sets.

Thanks for the tips, particularly on recent/favorite collections. So far I have primarily used collections for sharing images through syncing. But I would like to use them more for workflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back