• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Collection not working as expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here. I've stared at it for several hours and cannot see my mistake.

Scanning in a approx 750 old photos. Since the date of capture is unknown (in most cases), I have added a keyword eg 1930's, 1940's …. etc. to those that I can put a pretty good guess as to the approx. date.

I'm then left with approx 250 where I need to have a bit of a think about the date/decade.

I created a smart collection with two criteria to help identify these cases.

The exact text (cut and pasted, from the collection criteria) is

1800's or 1900's or 1910's or 1920's or 1930's or 1940's or 1950's or 1960's or 1970's or 1980's or 1990's or 2000's or 2010's or 2020's

This collection contains 259 images. But I know by subtracting the ones with decades from the total that there should be 263.
I checked that none have two decades, that all had valid job codes, that none have spelling errors in the decades keywords. Eventually, I identified 4 images

As you can see (with all 4 selected), all have a valid job code (and I've checked that there is no spelling errors in job codes). All four do not have one of the decade keywords included. But these 4 images do not appear in my "Decade Unknown" collection, when I think they should.

There doesn't seem to be anything in the metadata that would confuse the issue. I cannot spot a spelling error in my text for the collection and yet something is not right.

I suspect it will be obvious, but I've looked at it for so long that I'm blind to it now.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

Colin

Try changing the "Enter Keywords" field to "Keywords and Containing Keywords":

perhaps that will give you more data.

Thanks for that suggestion. It does give more data as you suggest, but nothing that seems as if it should make a difference

take the "OR" words out of your smart collection. What your line in the smart collection is eliminating from the results are any images that have the letters "or" anywhere in any keyword, including parent keywords. Smart collection rules use a space as a separator. "or" is implied by using the "Contains" or "doesn't contain" operator.

take the "OR" words out of your smart collection. What your line in the smart collection is eliminating from the results are any images that have the letters "or" anywhere in any keyword, including parent keywords. Smart collection rules use a space as a separator. "or" is implied by using the "Contains" or "doesn't contain" operator.
Isn't it amazing how simple it is when you know what you are talking about!!!!

Many many thanks for your help. It really is appreciated. I spent so long looking at it, but never gave the syntax a thought. Since it partly worked, I never thought to check that. If I'd got no results, I'm pretty sure I would have checked it, but the partial result just made me ignore that aspect.

A lesson learned there. Hopefully I won't make this mistake again.

Once again, thanks.

Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back