• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Collapsing the Keyword Hierarchy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Lethlean

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi, I have a Keyword Hierarchy of all Australian birds down to subspecies. Is there a simple way of collapsing the hierarchy display down in stages. The only way I can achieve this at the moment is if I work on another parent word such as EVENTS or PEOPLE and the go back to my parent Keyword BIRDS
Thanks Mark

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum!

I can't quite picture what you're trying to do. Do you mean you just want to click the triangle to hide the sub keywords? Or you want to collapse all of the sub keywords in one go?

I'm not sure if i'm understand what you want to accomplish. Do you want to collapse multiple parent keywords? That is possible but when the list is longer than your screen than it's nog working very handy.
Trefwoordenlijst1.JPG

And did you know the 'filter' option? It works very well to find the right parent quickly

Hi Mark,

If you Alt-Click (Option-click) on one of the disclosure triangles in your Key Word list every sub-tern will be collapsed. The next time you Click on the disclosure triangle just the next level terms will be displayed.

Hope that helps.

PS you may also want to look into the AnyTag plug-in. It offers a more comprhensive search of your keyword list including synonyms .

Keyword Hierarchy LR.jpg

Thanks Guys, I have around 300 odd bird groups- this is quite a standard organisation for bird photographers using LR. That is then broken down into Species then Subspecies and then any other points of interest eg breeding plumage, behaviour, chicks etc
If I add a new keyword anywhere in this grouping of 'Australian Birds' then the whole thing expands to display every keyword under the parent grouping. Is enormous. If I go out and add a keyword to another parent grouping such as People or Event then when I return to 'Australian Birds" the Keywords have collapsed to just give me the bird groupings. This is the level that is easiest to work with.
So what I was really asking was whether there was a smart key that enables me to collapse (or expand) the keywords to different levels of the hierarchy just so they are easier to work with.
On the screenshot above , I would like to collapse the list so I see only Pitas, Plovers, Pratincoles, Prions,Quails etc- ie the bird groups
Thanks Mark

Here's an interesting trick. One of the few things that Adobe improved with keyword management was the way search works in the keyword list. When your search term matches any level in your hierarchy it now returns all the terms and sub-terms in the hierarchy.

So in your case you could use the following search to get the list you want.

Pitas Plovers Pratincoles Prions Quails

If any of these terms appear in other keywords they will of course also be shown.

Anyway that might be useful. If you have several different sets you could us something like TextExpander (MacOS) to recall these different searches. I know that there are similar apps on Windows.

-louie

So what I was really asking was whether there was a smart key that enables me to collapse (or expand) the keywords to different levels of the hierarchy just so they are easier to work with.
On the screenshot above , I would like to collapse the list so I see only Pitas, Plovers, Pratincoles, Prions,Quails etc- ie the bird groups

Louie's Alt-click on the triangle for the parent keyword (e.g. Birds) would collapse the whole Birds hierarchy, then clicking on the same triangle again would open it up just to show the first level (Pitas, Plovers, etc.)

Thanks Victoria and Louie, that works. I didn't quite get the combination- I was Alt-clicking to close and to open, instead of just the former

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back