• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Cmd-return slide show soft

Status
Not open for further replies.

erudolph

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I use the slide show to quickly screen series of images. In the past, this has worked fine. But two things have changed: 1) I have a new camera that creates larger files, 2) I shoot DNG only rather than DNG plus jpg. Preferences are set to replace embedded previews with standard during idle time. Images when I display them full screen (F key) are sharp. However, when hitting cmd-return to initiate slideshow, the images are soft. Is there a fix for this? Oh, by the way, I've been reducing the size of the file by using the metadata "Update DNG Preview & Metadata."

Check that your slideshow "Quality" is not screening in 'Draft' mode-
ScreenShot579.jpg

I do not do anything with "metadata". I simply make a Collection of chosen images (of any type), and set the options in the Slide-show.
I do not know if Slideshow quality has anything to do with Import Previews. More likely the SS is created 'on the fly' from the original files.
Even in 'Standard' mode my [CTRL+ENTER] slideshows are acceptably sharp on my 27" Dell monitor.

Windows PCs sometimes need a Graphic Driver update when photos look poorly on screen- Is that something you can do on a Mac?

Thanks for your response. I did check the slideshow quality. It seems to default to standard and if I set it to high quality before starting a slideshow it looks about good enough.

My thinking is to create a Template that defines the way I like to see the 'Instant' Slideshow, - Jump into the SS module, select the template, then go back to what I was doing in Grid view. My Template selected then becomes the 'Default' (or 'Sticky') for any [Ctrl+Enter] instant SS.
Do you know if your camera creates Full-size embedded 'previews' in the (native?) DNG files?
A Lr Guru may know if the SS might use the embedded Previews (until replaced) or creates them from the raw. (I do not have that knowledge :( )

A Lr Guru may know if the SS might use the embedded Previews (until replaced) or creates them from the raw. (I do not have that knowledge :()
That's an interesting question, I'm not sure on that either. An easy way to check would be to shoot B&W in-camera and then see whether the slideshow is B&W or color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back