• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Cloud based - Where to store Catalogue and Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubababe

Lightroom Version Number
Cloud v4 (just purchased, so whatever is the latest!)
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hi there ...
I have upgraded to LR Classic in the Cloud with 1TB and I'm a little confused about storage requirements.
Seems like this new Cloud version wants to store my data in the cloud but 1TB won't be enough.
Is this a requirement or can I (eg) store the Catalogue in the Cloud, but my photos in my 4TB dropbox ?
Thanks ...
Scubababe...

There is no "Lightroom Classic in the cloud". There is Lightroom Classic, which still stores its images locally, and there is Lightroom (desktop), which stores its images in the cloud. It's own cloud; you can't use Dropbox for that. You can switch to Lightroom if you want to, but from what I read that does not seem to be a good idea. My advice would be to stick to Lightroom Classic.

There is no such thing as "LR Classic in the Cloud", so are you sure you've purchased the correct subscription plan? There are currently three basic plans:

1. Photography Plan with 20GB....includes Lightroom Classic (local storage based, currebntly at version 10), Lightroom (cloud storage based, currently at version 4)), Photoshop, plus 20GB cloud space. $10 per month.

2. Photography Plan with 1TB....same suite of apps, but with 1TB of cloud storage. Costs an additional $10 per month.

3. Lightroom only plan....includes only the cloud-storage based Lightroom version 4 with 1TB of cloud space. Costs the same as 1.

So, what have you upgraded from, and have you purchased the correct plan?

You indicate "Cloud v4 (just purchased, so whatever is the latest!)". and suggest that 1TB is not enough. This cloud based app is called simply "Lightroom" and abbreviated LR or Lr. If you want to store more than 1TB of images in the Adobe Cloud, then you will need a bigger storage plan.
As Others have suggested, you may want to contact Adobe to change to the"Photography Plan" which includes Lightroom Classic (LrC), Lightroom (Lr) and Photoshop. Running LrC, all of your images are stored locally. and Proxy SmartDNG images can be stored in the cloud to interact with Lr on another computer (laptop) or Lr mobile on a smartphone or tablet, Or shared with others on the Lightroom for the Web.

There is no such thing as "LR Classic in the Cloud", so are you sure you've purchased the correct subscription plan? There are currently three basic plans:

1. Photography Plan with 20GB....includes Lightroom Classic (local storage based, currebntly at version 10), Lightroom (cloud storage based, currently at version 4)), Photoshop, plus 20GB cloud space. $10 per month.

2. Photography Plan with 1TB....same suite of apps, but with 1TB of cloud storage. Costs an additional $10 per month.

3. Lightroom only plan....includes only the cloud-storage based Lightroom version 4 with 1TB of cloud space. Costs the same as 1.

So, what have you upgraded from, and have you purchased the correct plan?
Hi Jim .. thank you ... I purchased option 3. Not only is 1TB not enough, I believe that keywords are now flattened ... I do underwater photography and have 100s of grouped keywords, so if this is the case this won't work for me. So maybe I should go to LR Classic with local storage ??

You indicate "Cloud v4 (just purchased, so whatever is the latest!)". and suggest that 1TB is not enough. This cloud based app is called simply "Lightroom" and abbreviated LR or Lr. If you want to store more than 1TB of images in the Adobe Cloud, then you will need a bigger storage plan.
As Others have suggested, you may want to contact Adobe to change to the"Photography Plan" which includes Lightroom Classic (LrC), Lightroom (Lr) and Photoshop. Running LrC, all of your images are stored locally. and Proxy SmartDNG images can be stored in the cloud to interact with Lr on another computer (laptop) or Lr mobile on a smartphone or tablet, Or shared with others on the Lightroom for the Web.
Thank you ... clearly I'm super confused about my purchase and should consider changing my plan before doing anything with my catalog ...

Hi Jim .. thank you ... I purchased option 3. Not only is 1TB not enough, I believe that keywords are now flattened ... I do underwater photography and have 100s of grouped keywords, so if this is the case this won't work for me. So maybe I should go to LR Classic with local storage ??
Well, if hierarchical keywords are a "must have" feature, only Classic provides that functionality. So that does tend to suggest a switch of plan is needed, which would also avoid the need to purchase additional cloud storage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back