• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Cloud-based "edit anywhere" workflow question

Status
Not open for further replies.

reach

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic CC 8.3.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi there,
I really spent considerable time googeling this up, but all I find are videos describing how to use your iPad as main device - which is not what I want.

What I would like is to:
-import pictures on my Desktop PC ("master")
- apply some import actions like lens corrections etc. like I'm used to it from my offline workflow
- my PC to convert these RAWs to smart-previews and upload them to the Adobe cloud
- so I can rate, sort and rudimentary edit pictures on my iPad, notebook, etc... and
- export them on the master when ready

Why I want this:
First of all, maybe because I'm old fashioned. But it also simply appears to be the most sensible thing to me. Most workflow descriptions I find are - one way or the other - about uploading the entire RAWs to the cloud and the mobile devices. This doesn't seem to make sense to me. I don't have the space on my iPad for all RAWs, I don't have the space in my Adobe cloud and, although I have great internet connection, it appears like a huge bandwidth waste for something I don't want anyway.
Also this is exactly what I thought is the beauty of smart-previews(?!?)

Does Lighroom support this?
If so, could anybody please recommend a workflow, video, tutorial, anything that helps me do that.
Sorry for the maybe totally useless explanations, but I often made bad experiences when not stating the intentions right from the beginning.

Thx,
reach

It's a perfectly viable way to work (with some modifications) and is exactly what I have enjoyed doing ever since Lightroom Mobile was first introduced.

"- my PC to convert these RAWs to smart-previews and upload them to the Adobe cloud "

Change this to add them to a collection, and sync that collection to the Adobe cloud. This sends smart previews, which don't use any of your cloud storage allocation.

"- export them on the master when ready"

No need, as this happens automatically.

"- my PC to convert these RAWs to smart-previews and upload them to the Adobe cloud "

Change this to add them to a collection, and sync that collection to the Adobe cloud. This sends smart previews, which don't use any of your cloud storage allocation.

Nice, I found exactly this in the meantime. Syncing is in progress. Sadly there is no progress bar, just a countdown of files to sync.
You say this doesn't count to my storage space? Whow!!! That sounds kind of generous from Adobe, why would they do that?
Also I guess this is why the Adobe-Cloud folder in my explorer remains empty, right? Wouldn't make sense to show propriatory files anyway.

"- export them on the master when ready"

No need, as this happens automatically.

I think you have mistaken me. I mean "export to JPG". That can't happen automatically, can it?
If I'm right and you have mistaken me, I'd be curious: what do you mean is happening automatically?

"You say this doesn't count to my storage space? Whow!!! That sounds kind of generous from Adobe, why would they do that?"

I don't know, but I guess these smart previews are the minimum needed to make the service work, and aren't that big. It's only when you put raws or other originals into the cloud (eg by shooting on your phone and importing into Lightroom Mobile) that your cloud space starts to be used.

"Also I guess this is why the Adobe-Cloud folder in my explorer remains empty, right?"

Not quite. That is Dropbox-style cloud storage, and you would never see anything in that folder unless you put something there using Explorer. Your 20gb total includes anything you put in there, plus any originals imported via Lightroom Mobile or Lightroom Cloudy. The two elements are separate.

What happens automatically is that any adjustments you make on your iPad will automatically be applied to the raw files back on your desktop. So if you increase exposure by 1 on the iPad, that slider will be set to +1 when you are on your computer.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back