• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Classic to CC sync - mising xmp's

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBreugelmans

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic and CC subscription bases
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi folks, when I upload a collection (sync to cloud), none of the changes are visible. In the CC-folder I notice that indeed the xmp's (from the Classic-folder) are missing.
Is this normal?

When you sync images from Lightroom Classic to the cloud, they will be synced as smart previews. Smart previews do not have XMP files, because they are DNG files. DNG files have these metadata stored in the file header.

How do you sync these images and what "CC-folder" are you talking about?

Ok, that clarifies a lot already.
Now I tried to import collections as a catalog from Classic to CC, but same: it brought over the images, but no xmp's in the CC folders. I have to copy the xmp's from the folders Classic uses to the folder CC creates. Is this normal? And is there no way to point CC to the same folders as Classic uses?

Ok, that clarifies a lot already.
Now I tried to import collections as a catalog from Classic to CC, but same: it brought over the images, but no xmp's in the CC folders. I have to copy the xmp's from the folders Classic uses to the folder CC creates. Is this normal? And is there no way to point CC to the same folders as Classic uses?
I get the impression that you did not synchronize images, but exported them from Classic (as catalog) and then imported the images. That will indeed not bring over any edits, because export as catalog does not create XMP files. If you do not want to synchronize smart previews from Classic, then you have two options:

1: Export the images from Lightroom Classic 'as original'. That will copy the original raw files plus an XMP sidecar file to the destination folder you choose. You can also choose 'Export as DNG'. Then import these images into Lightroom CC from that folder.
2: Export the images from Lightroom Classic as a new catalog. Then migrate this catalog (File - Migrate from - Lightroom Classic catalog), rather than importing the images.

Perfect. I'll try this for my next sessions. Still one question about the migration system ... Like everybody I had to migrate my old catalog to LR Classic when first started to use it. This did not bring over any xmp's ... so I still have to use LR 2016 for my older images to see these edits. Or am I migrating in a wrong way?

Perfect. I'll try this for my next sessions. Still one question about the migration system ... Like everybody I had to migrate my old catalog to LR Classic when first started to use it. This did not bring over any xmp's ... so I still have to use LR 2016 for my older images to see these edits. Or am I migrating in a wrong way?
Yes, you probably used the wrong method. There is nothing to migrate if you go from one version of Lightroom Classic to the next version. Just open your old catalog with the new version of Lightroom Classic and you’re done.

You seem to misunderstand the purpose/(un)importance of XMP files. Lightroom Classic does not use XMP files to store its edits. It can save the metadata and edits to XMP files as well, but the primary storage is the catalog. You can save XMP files if you want to, but you don’t have to and they are not needed for anything in Lightroom. Most people, including me, don’t write edits to XMP at all, because it only slows down Lightroom and does not serve any real purpose.

Sorry for the confusion. I took my "old-catalog-with-all-the-changes" (Master-Catalog-CS6), opened it with LR Classic. It asks me to convert, which I did since otherwise I cannot open the catalog. In LR Classic, I can see the pictures, but no history, no changes I've done in the past. Am I still using the wrong method? But how can I open the odl catalog without converting?

When you upgrade a catalog you do just that: you upgrade the catalog. That has nothing to do with XMP files, and there is nothing to 'bring over' during the upgrade. XMP files are stored with the images.

I'm not sure why you do not see the History, unless you re-imported images. The history should not get lost during the catalog upgrade, but the history is not saved in XMP. So if you re-import images with XMP files, you will see the edits themselves, but not the history.

with conversion I mean: "your catalog has to be upgraded".

The old catalog has a different structure from the current version. When Lightroom “Converts” a catalog it reads the data from the old catalog file and inserts it into a new catalog file with the new structure. The result is two catalog files.one in the old structure and one with the new structure both containing the same data. The new LR version can use the New Catalof file and move forward. The old version can still be used to read the old catalog structure. The old catalog file is redundant at this point but still preserved just in case...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back