• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Classic "Not Responding"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longcove2-outlook

Lightroom Version Number
Classic 10.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hello: I've just updated to Classic 10.3 from LR 6, having tried every other piece of software to escape, but none do what I want as well as Lightroom. So here I am with Classic 10.3 installed on my desktop, Windows 10 Pro, 21H1 and a traveling laptop with Windows 10 21H1 all up to date on both. Desktop has AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, X570 board, 32Gb, Windows and catalogue on two NVMe drives and the images on an SSD. Cloud is paused for it is not the way I work. Surely this isn't the problem!
Classic installed without a hitch on both machines.
First, on the desktop I kept getting 'Not Responding' messages as Classic took five minutes to open and become workable. Eventually, I wiped the catalogue which was updated from LR6 and started building a new catalogue again. Four hours later, after rendering the Standard previews, I have a working Classic that opens in 7 seconds. But even then the 'Not Responding' flicks up momentarily every so often - for no apparent reason and without affecting operation for more than a second. No problems with Luminar, ON1 or Exposure x6.
The laptop is a 2017 HP Envy 17, two SSDs and 16Gb of memory. Ghastly Intel 530 graphics adapter. Same problem but worse. Turned off graphics adapter and started again with a fresh catalogue. Freezes with 'Not Responding' for five minutes. Eventually works sluggishly and much worse than LR6. The catalogue now only has 260 images in it!
This is not a new problem for I've seen it discussed a few years ago - without a solution as far as I know. Adobe help and remote control of the laptop failed to find anything - actually they just gave up after an hour today.
But now with Classic 10.3 has anyone found a fix or reasonable workaround for this problem? Or are we waiting for 10.4?
Thanks
Donald

Well, clearly the wrong question!;) Should people be interested although, perhaps, you all know the answer already, this is my fix. The desktop required creating a new catalogue. Clearly the LR6 one didn't convert very well. The laptop required more effort for it eventually wouldn't run at all. 1. Removed the Logitech plugin - I saw this mentioned in other forums. Recreated the catalogue about 10 times and to make it quick I removed my images but just left a few behind. Finally got to preferences and turned the graphics card off. Lo and behold these three changes allowed LRC to run quite well.
Incidentally, I talked to people at Adobe which was a waste of time. This seems to be the usual outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back