• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Classic installation messed up catalogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilinsky

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Operating System: Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): LR 6.13 and LR Classic

I installed LR Classic from the Adobe CC apps button. (I stupidly chose not to retain previous LR versions.) Seemed to install fine, no error messages. When I tried to start it, I got the message catalog is corrupt. I tried to load a different catalog, same message. Offered to 'repair', but immediately got message that it couldn't be repaired. After trying everything I could think of, I gave up, uninstalled Classic and went back to LR 6.13. When I tried to open it, I got the message that the catalog was corrupt. I went back to my last backup (a week old) and redid the work to get it up to date.

Yesterday I tried again, this time leaving LR 6.13. I succeeded in creating a new catalog and Classic opened. I then imported from my main catalog. Again success after an hour or more of hard disk thrashing. I tried to figure out how to get my old template installed. I exited. I tried to restart Classic. Got the message 'catalog is corrupt' and could not create a new catalog, nor open Classic no matter what I tried. I was back to square one, except this time the LR 6 catalog was not affected and I had a recent backup.

The only thing I found searching for a solution was that possibly windows permissions were involved. I did all the installing etc from my account which has admin privileges, so that couldn't be the explanation, I don't think. On the Adobe site I found things like 'update drivers for your graphics card' and 'be sure you have the latest windows updates' and stuff like that. Not really helpful. I found so few mentions of similar problems when searching I am beginning to think this could be a problem specific to my setup. I sure hope not, as such a problem might be extremely hard to solve. Anyhow, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for answering and thanks for the welcome. My custom template just changed the font on the module selection bar and changed the name at the upper left by using a graphic image instead. Just the same as you have the option to do in Classic I saw.

Rather than importing the original template have you tried recreating your customised view in Lightroom Classic? I just tried adding custom text using Edit menu > "Identity Plate setup" and did not have any catalog corruption errors. Didn't try a graphic image though.

Have you posted it on the bug forum? I’ve seen Adobe employees fix a couple of similar reports

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back