• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Develop module Classic 7.2 still slow can't work like it should be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart van Hattem

Bart
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
OSX High Sierra
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): classic 7.2

Was waiting toi this upgrade because i thought it would solve my issues.
Unfortunately not. Can't use the quick develop tools, creating previews; i don't wait for it. Closing and reopening directly does show directly the adjustments of quick preview. Generating previews will work again for a short time...
iMac5K 4GHZ Intel Core i7, 32GB 1867 Mhz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB
external HD Pegasus 2R4 Promise thunderbold (fast)
Extra monitor Eizo CS2730 on same mac to do my work in LR en PS .
What to do ? Will Adobe look into this (share screen or something) ?
I am already spending time to look for alternatives..but i have invested a lot of time in workflow with LR... this is so frustrating....

I'm not understanding the issue you're dealing with, can you provide more details of the workflow you're trying to use, and tell us what's not happening as you think it should?

Thanks Jim, Can't use the quick develop tool, creating 1:1 previews; i don't wait for it.it will take ages... Closing and reopening LR directly does show directly the adjustments made with quick develop. Closing and reopening LR; generating previews will work again for a short time...
It is not working as i was ....

Can't use the quick develop tool, creating 1:1 previews; i don't wait for it.it will take ages...

Are you trying to use Quick Develop on the same set of images that you're building 1:1 previews for? Is this immediately after importing the images? Are you saying that when you try to use Quick Develop at the same time as there's a 1:1 preview build in operation, you don't see the effect of the changes (presumably because of the parallel 1:1 previews being built)? Or something else?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm still not totally clear what you're telling me. There are a couple of things we could suggest, but I need to fully understand the issue first.

Hi Jim,

No the quick develop does not work for me, even if the 1:1 previews are a week old. Sorry i am not clear enough (Dutch and male :_) but i can't use quick develop at all. Even not at one image. The minute i do a tiny adjustment the three white bullets in the right upper corner of the picture are there. Nothing happens, they stay there... And nothing changes. Then, when i quit LR and start up again, the changes will be shown. Generating 1:1 previews works but.. how longer i am working the slower everything is running. Restarting LR is then the only solution. So on a day when i do my digital stuff... I restart LR about 25 times to get some work done. Why i am using Quick Develop ? -> i have a own image library where my cliënt work in (selection, share selections with designer, order etc.) . I use it to do some minor adjustments so user can better see the potential of the image. Hope this helps ? Really appreciate your help !

What happens if you try to use the Develop module instead of Quick Develop? Same problem? Have you tried turning off "Use Graphics Processor" in the Lightroom Preferences>Performance tab?

@Abel, there sounds like something is just broken. I use Quick Develop more and more as it seems faster than getting in and out of develop and/or letting it walk from photo to photo in develop.

Do you have any secondary computer to try? What you appear to be describing just does not match with any complaints I've heard from other users. Maybe there's something basically broken in that install/setup/etc? I realize you just installed 7.2, so perhaps in the preferences? It is a royal pain but if you have not tried clearing preferences and resetting it may be worth it (maybe take screen shots of everything first).

GPU maybe, though I did not think it would affect the quick develop display.

GPU maybe, though I did not think it would affect the quick develop display.
Quick develop is just Develop with a different user interface. It wouldn't surprise me if GPU problems could affect it.

Quick develop is just Develop with a different user interface. It wouldn't surprise me if GPU problems could affect it.
Maybe. Can't hurt to try.

I think the real thing I am trying to say is "it's not normal Lightroom, something is different on your install/setup/computer/preferences/etc". The most likely path to resolution is a lot of experimentation to find out what is different.

You're right. There's something unusual on the OP's machine, and experimentation is in order. It would be nice if the first thing we suggest works, but what are the odds?

You're right. There's something unusual on the OP's machine, and experimentation is in order. It would be nice if the first thing we suggest works, but what are the odds?

The odds are much higher that the last suggestion tried works. :rolleyes:

So think backwards?

Eeh Thanks all, Victoria Bampton made me make a new catalogus and that works fast ! (but only 157 pic's imported) No problems at all.
The "real" catalogus is optimized every time i close LR. Camera RAW cache is set to 30 GB and purged. Total size of preview cache = 186 GB. (file handling tab catalogus settings)

- develop works much faster then quick develop :)
- don't know how to check GPU ? (other software works fine..)
- also i don't understand this ?; "There's something unusual on the OP's machine" (Hal wrote that)
- will check on a MacBook tomorrow (it's not in studio right now)
- Have you tried turning off "Use Graphics Processor" ? -> Yes

Thanks all !

- don't know how to check GPU ? (other software works fine..)
- Have you tried turning off "Use Graphics Processor" ? -> Yes
The graphics processor on/off is the GPU, dso you tried that.

Eeh Thanks all, Victoria Bampton made me make a new catalogus and that works fast ! (but only 157 pic's imported) No problems at all.
The "real" catalogus is optimized every time i close LR. Camera RAW cache is set to 30 GB and purged. Total size of preview cache = 186 GB. (file handling tab catalogus settings)

For what it is worth, while large, it does not sound all that large. Catalog size really should make little or no difference in quick develop as far as I can think. I guess it is possible that some aspect of the catalog, e.g. if you have huge numbers of presets or something that might be out of the ordinary it could matter?

- will check on a MacBook tomorrow (it's not in studio right now)

One reason that might be helpful, if it does not have a current setup, is you could build up to it. You could start with a near empty catalog and see how fast it is. Then you could just move your entire catalog and if practical preview folder over, and a couple of folders to test against (you would not need all your images, just a few, if you can move the previews). See how fast it is then. If it suddenly got slow, you can experiment safely there, for example you might delete the previews entirely and let them rebuild for just those few folders present (retaining the same large catalog). I do not have a good idea what the culprit is, but if you can make it run fast sometimes and slower others by such changes it might give a clue where the problem is.

That a new catalog works and existing does not would seem to imply it is not your global preferences (it could be something in the catalog preferences). The problem here is often not the actual settings, but that something gets corrupted in the storage of the settings. I.e. it is not that you checked a particular box, but the presentation of that box in the preference file may have gotten corrupted in some way. But almost all preferences are shared between catalogs, so it sounds like you eliminated that as an issue.

One thing I am confused by -- is quick develop slow, or does it simply not work at all? If you make a quick develop change, and it does not appear -- if you then just do absolutely nothing, does it eventually appear, or does it require you taking action to make it come up?

Thanks !
- there are a lot of presets but they have always been there.
- QD i have to do the action "Close LR" and when i reopen LR the preview is there in the way i wanted it... I have waited for 10 minutes for result of QD and nothing happend, The three white bullets were still there .. (could not wait any longer :)
- Going to do what you have suggested with the catalogus, i have 140000 pics in it.

Thanks !
- there are a lot of presets but they have always been there.
- QD i have to do the action "Close LR" and when i reopen LR the preview is there in the way i wanted it... I have waited for 10 minutes for result of QD and nothing happend, The three white bullets were still there .. (could not wait any longer :)
- Going to do what you have suggested with the catalogus, i have 140000 pics in it.
140,000 is large but not excessive, I think many people have that. My GUESS, since it never completes, is you have some configuration that has likely uncovered a bug either in Lightroom or in your video system. I do not use Mac's, but if there is a provision to ensure your video drivers are all updated to the most current version you might try that.

I have myself had Lightroom get "stuck" with screen updates, but never in a reproducible fashion. More than once on the grid, for example, I would click the rotate button and one or more images would get stuck at about a 45 degree angle -- it had clearly sent several updates to show the motion of rotation, but the last ones did not work. These kind of issues come up periodically for me, but they never happen consistently. It does say to me that the programming Adobe uses is not very robust, and timing or other race conditions occasionally break it. My guess is you have the good fortunate to have such a case that is persistent, not random.

My GUESS is that on a new machine this will not happen. But tracking down how to stop it, if so, on the original machine may not be fun.

Hey ! Thanks ! I discovered something new... When i click on the three dots upper right (who stay there for ever) I get a window "The metadata for this photo has been changed in Lightroom. Save the changes to disk? " When i click that de Quick develop action is instantly done.....

Assuming my memory works and I have the details correctly. But way back in Lr 5.7 I found a bug dealing with meta-data.
If I enabled auto write meta-data, and the file was read-only and a DNG. Lr got "stuck"; and the image would not update until I restarted Lr or forced the meta-data to update. However, if the image was a raw file, Lr wrote the sidecar file just fine.

Tim

Is sync enabled for your main catalog? It rings a bell with another reported issue...

You mean if i have enabled this setting to all images when i clicked on the three bullets ? "The metadata for this photo has been changed in Lightroom. Save the changes to disk? " Thanks !

I think victoria's question relates to Lightroom Mobile aka Lightroom CC and cloud sync?

Whereas Tim's question about auto-write is a preference item for auto-write XMP data as opposed to manual.

(I am unfamiliar with either issue just trying to clarify).

Frankly I remain unsure when the three dots appear. I know you can get that if you edit outside in another editor, but not sure under what circumstances it appears otherwise, as I turned off auto-write, changed metadata, and it did not appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back