• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module Changing the location of the Lightroom Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesternGuy

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC 7.5
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I want to change the location of my Lightroom Library files. I have backed them up, using Windows Explorer, from the current Library to a new hard drive. I want to do this because the new location is on a larger hard drive (8TB) and the old one (2TB) will run out of room very soon. My problem is that I cannot find the new image location hard drive using the Library folder option in Lightroom. I simply want to tell Lightroom to look for the images in this new location. I have looked in most of the "references" I have and I cannot find anything that tells me how I should do this and which, if any other files need to be moved to this new drive.

Any insight that anyone would care to share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

WesternGuy

If you mean you have copied the image library from its current location to a new drive, and provided you have maintained the same folder structure, then you simply right-click on the current parent folder in the Folders Panel and select "Update Folder Location", and in the resulting file browser navigate to and select the copy of that parent folder that you've made on the new drive. Repeat if needed if you have multiple parent folders.

Johan, the drives have different drive letters, but thanks for the insight.
What I said is that you could have changed them so that the new drive got the letter that the old drive had. That would have been enough for Lightroom to think that nothing had changed. Lightroom uses a simple path to the images in the catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back