Changing text color

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm pretty new to Lightroom and am making a book. I'm playing with colors for text on the cover and spine. I've saved colors before under the color circle where you can drag the current color into a little color swatch box. I did so many it made a second row of little boxes. Then it stopped saving them. As soon as I dragged one to a box, the color circle window closed. I thought I had too many, though some boxes were empty, and tried deleting color swatches, and they wouldn't delete. I ended up typing in numbers to get colors to match on the cover, spine, and title page. I'd like to save this color and apply it to text throughout the book (and I use all three kinds: photo text, text cells, and page text.) Can someone tell me how to save a text color to easily apply it to text in other parts of the book? Is there is way to apply it to all text in the book at once? DotP

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi DotP, welcome to the forum!

Have you tried right-clicking on the swatch and selecting Set This Swatch to Current Color?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi DotP, welcome to the forum!

Have you tried right-clicking on the swatch and selecting Set This Swatch to Current Color?

I've read up on Apple's color picker, for instance at Using the Mac OS X Color Picker © Robin Wood 2009

Today I was able to save a few colors in boxes in the drawer, but then it started not saving them again. I'm wondering if it has to do with which color space I'm in, Adobe RGB or sRGB.

Is there a way to use Adobe's color picker that goes with Lightroom, rather than using the default Apple color picker? What do other Mac users do?

And I'm still eager to know if there is a way to apply a text color to all the text in a book in the book module.

Thanks!

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
I think we're going to need screenshots Dot. You shouldn't be seeing Apple's color picker.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Some of my hints-
1. When you select text, and click the Character "color" box in the Type panel- the Lightroom color picker panel opens.
(If you only see monochrome tones- raise the bar in the small tone box at the right-most end of the color picker dialog.)
2. With colors visible in the color picker dialog- drag the mouse onto a desired color.
3. If you want a color from somewhere else on the screen- click & hold the left-mouse button as you drag the dropper onto any desired color. (This could be a color patch from another program also visible on the desktop)
4. If you want a specific color you can type the numbers for RGB, HSL or HEX below the color picker dialog. (Click on 'Hex' to open a box to enter the hex value,)

ScreenShot305.jpg ScreenShot306.jpg ScreenShot307.jpg ScreenShot308.jpg ScreenShot309.jpg .

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
If you use the Lightroom color picker, do you save your colors, especially those you want to save as you experiment, so you can use a certain one again?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
If you have a program that shows colors in a swatch panel, you can have the panel showing on the screen beside the Lightroom window, then use the Lr color picker dropper to select from the swatches. The color swatches could be your created colors in Photoshop for example.

Lightroom does not have a swatch panel, so you can only use the color picker dropper, or type in the RGB values in the Lrt color picker dialog.

Here is an idea- Screen-clip a color swatch panel of your colors , import it to Lr, add it to the book collection, use the dropper to pick colors from the pic on the filmstrip (or place it on a book page temporarily)

ScreenShot015.jpg ScreenShot014.jpg

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
That's why I've been using the Apple color picker, which I've figured out how to make appear; I can save swatches there -- usually. Sometimes it closes on me, and I don't know why. I'm also learning to use the HEX color nos.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
The Lr color picker window can hold five selected colors in the five swatch boxes above the color window-
They seem to remain as 'defaults' when Lr is closed and re-opened, but worth experimenting to test this.
1. Set a color (by dropper, RGB, or Hex)
2. Position the mouse cursor on one of the swatch boxes and hold the mouse button down for ~2 seconds.
This places the selected color in the swatch box and presumably remains as a swatch while designing text.
ScreenShot020.jpg