• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Changing one preset's export folder changes all other presets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russell Banks

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
When I change the export folder on one preset, whether or not I update that preset to current settings, the export folder in all other presets changes to that same folder. And although exporting using any preset really does put the file in this "new" location, when I look at the preset lrtemplate file in the Finder, the date modified is unchanged.

So the export window is resetting the export folder of all presets to the last one changed. But somehow it's not changing the preset file itself.

I've also noticed that occasionally a preset is duplicated, with "-2" at the end of the filename. So far, I haven't been able to make this happen on purpose.

Could permissions be the problem? Every preset file, in addition to read/write permissions for the user account, has a duplicate "everyone" user with a "Custom" privilege. (see screenshot)

However, this weird user has appeared in numerous files in my Library with no ill effects. (And several people with a good amount of expertise have told me this is not likely to cause problems.)

Mac running Catalina with Lightroom 10.2

Thanks,
Russell

Attachments

• 2021-06-05-1547-20.png
    2021-06-05-1547-20.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
And several people with a good amount of expertise have told me this is not likely to cause problems.
I would agree with them. I do not see any way in which permissions could play a part here. Do your export presets specify a certain folder? If not, then Lightroom picks a default folder to start with, and that is what seems to have changed.

Thanks for the quick response, Johan. Yes, most of my presets save to different, specific folders. My Facebook preset saves to a /Facebook folder, my iPad preset saves larger images to a /iPad folder, etc. The problem is that they're no longer retaining their specific destination folders. Changing any preset's destination folder changes every other preset to that same folder, without modifying the actual preset file.

All presets are stored in /Users/rcb/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Lightroom/Export Presets

I've just hit on another issue that may be related. Last fall, Adobe support helped me resolve a problem where my print templates stopped saving the printer profile choice when I selected "update with current settings." The profile field was always blank.

The problem recently resurfaced and this morning I contacted support again. They looked up the old case and had me change the “Print to” popup from Printer to JPG, then change it back to "Printer." I then selected the profile and choose "update with current settings" for the template.

Restarted LR and there were now TWO copies of the template in the browser! Going to the Finder, I saw the old template file that wouldn't update had the mysterious, duplicate "everyone" user I mentioned in my original post. But the new file, which had "-2" appended to the filename, did not have the duplicate "everyone" user-- and it is able to save the profile selection.

For some reason, LR was unable to write to the existing template file when I updated the template, so it made a new one and appended the "-2". That takes me back the the permissions strangeness.

So, I went back to my export presets, and changed my Facebook preset's second "everyone" user to read-only, then set its destination folder to /Facebook. Then I changed my Email preset destination to /Email and the Facebook's preset didn't change to /Email, like it's been doing. It appears that changing the 2nd "everyone" user to read-only is somehow protecting the file.

So, I'll continue trying to find out why I have that mystery user and what its implications are via the Mac Power Users forum. I'm thinking the problem is deeper than Lightroom.

Thanks,
Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back