• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Changing Metadata Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmack

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Operating System:
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info):CC

How to change Metadata Year to 2018 for all photos taken in the New Year?

Are you referring to copyright information or what?

Otherwise date metadata, like capture date, comes into LIghtroom via the image - it is generated by the camera.
In this respect it is important to make sure that your camera is on the right page, so to speak...
Nothing to do with Lightroom.

Tony Jay

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Do you want to filter on 2018?

Yes, I am thinking Copyright. Watching a tutorial by Sean McCormick, he says go to the Metadata Panel, drop down menu for IPTC, Edit. When I make the change to 2018, LR asks if I want to do this for all pictures or just selected picture.

Copyright information is a setting found in most interchangeable lens cameras. The camera settings should be modified for future photos. If you took photos in 2018 and the camera still was set for 2017, you can set a new copyright date in the metadata panel. You can also apply a metadata preset on import that will fill in the copyright field as well as any other metadata fields that you want consistent for every import or unique to a specific import

Hmm..... What I am trying to do is change the Copyright info year to 2018. I believe this is done somewhere in the Preferences.

In doing that, will all my images have the copyright info correct?

Hmm..... What I am trying to do is change the Copyright info year to 2018. I believe this is done somewhere in the Preferences.

In doing that, will all my images have the copyright info correct?
No, this is incorrect.
Changing copyright information is done with a metadata preset.

Go to the Library module and then look at the top of the Metadata subpanel found in the right hand panel. There you will note a heading called "Preset" which will probably have a setting next it it of "None".
Click on the little arrows to the right and all the metadata presets you have will appear in a list box - it is possible that you have none in which case it will be largely empty. Either way the last entry is this: "Edit Presets". Click on this and the "Edit Metadata Presets" dialog appears.

The copyright section is fourth from the top.
Make sure that the only section that is checked is the IPTC copyright section.
Fill in the relevant fields and then when you want to save the preset go to the top of the dialog box to where is says "Preset" with "Custom" in the box adjacent. Click on the two little arrows to the right and a list box opens showing all your metadata presets. However, what you are interested in is at the bottom (second from the bottom in fact: "Save Current Settings as New Preset". Select this and give the preset a descriptive name such as "Copyright 2018". Click "Create".
Once this is complete the preset is created.
Click "Done" at the bottom of the dialog to return to the Library module.

Applying this metadata preset can be done in a few ways. The key is to select all the images shot in 2018 using either the filter bar or a collection and then selecting the metadata preset by going to the same location at the top of metadata subpanel where we started.
Once selected the preset will be applied to all the images selected (this can be one or as many as you like).
If it is important to write the metadata back to file then do this last.

Tony Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back