Status
Not open for further replies.

marinephoto

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
My folder structure is based upon Years. Images made in 2020 are stored in dated subfolders under that year, etc. As my image collection has grown I have adopted a policy of keeping only the last two years (2019, 2020) on my iMacs internal drive, earlier years are stored on multiple external hard drives to ensure recoverability in case of drive failure. This external drive is linked to my catalog allowing me access to the images by selecting the external drive in the LR Folders panel. My internal drive is getting full and with 2021 just around the corner I want to gain some space by removing the 2019 folder and all its images from the internal drive. My question is what is the proper procedure for deleting the 2019 folder and all its images from my internal and then linking the catalog to the 2019 folder and images on my working external drive?

Thanks!
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 12.32.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 12.32.55 PM.png

In the folder panel, simply drag the 2019 folder from MacIntosh HD to the folders “My Lightroom Photos” on Toshiba Toaster Drive #7 and drop it. When dropped onto “My Lightroom Photos” it will then be nested below 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the folder panel, simply drag the 2019 folder from MacIntosh HD to the folders “My Lightroom Photos” on Toshiba Toaster Drive #7 and drop it. When dropped onto “My Lightroom Photos” it will then be nested below 2018.

Cleetus,

Whoops! I think I left out an essential detail. All the images I shot in 2019 are already on external Drive #7 they just aren't linked to the Catalog on my internal drive and so don't appear on the screenshot I attached to my question. Am I correct in thinking that the method you suggested would physically move the photos from 2019 currently stored on my MacHD internal drive to external drive #7? Since those photos are already on drive#7 could I just delete the actual 2019 folder containing that year's photos from my internal drive and then go to the 2019 folder on external drive #7 and link that folder to my catalog on my MacHD internal drive?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whoops! I think I left out an essential detail. All the images I shot in 2019 are already on external Drive #7 they just aren't linked to the Catalog on my internal drive and so don't appear on the screenshot I attached to my question. Am I correct in thinking that the method you suggested would physically move the photos from 2019 currently stored on my MacHD internal drive to external drive #7? Since those photos are already on drive#7 could I just delete the actual 2019 folder containing that year's photos from my internal drive and then go to the 2019 folder on external drive #7 and link that folder to my catalog on my MacHD internal drive?
If they're already on the external drive (and it's a complete copy, including the folder structure), then you can simply right-click on the 2019 folder in the Folders Panel and choose "Update Folder Location"....that starts a file browser window, use that to navigate to and select the copy 2019 folder on the external drive. That will switch Classic's internal paths to reflect the external drive instead of the system drive. When it's done (takes a couple of seconds), and you've checked that all is good, you can delete the original 2019 folder from your system drive. No need to copy/move anything.

The method that I described will create a 2019 folder inside the “My Lightroom Photos” and nested below the 2018 folder. All of the images cataloged in the MacIntosh HD drive will be move to that new 2019 folder. This would seem to be the logical place to manage the cataloged images in the 2019 folder. If the existing 2019 folder is already nested below 2018 inside “My Lightroom Photos” then my method may create conflicts as it tries to move the image files from MacIntosh HD drive to the Toshiba Toaster Drive #7.
I would want the 2019 folder to be in the logical place and the certainty that all of the images cataloged in MacIntosh HD are moved to the logical place. I would still use my method, but first move the existing 2019 folder to another location so that there are no conflicts in “My Lightroom Photos/2019” Then I would make sure the images in the existing 2019 folder are not duplicates with the images moved from "Macintosh HD/.../My Lightroom Photos/2019” to "Toshiba Toaster Drive #7/.../My Lightroom Photos/2019”.

If they're already on the external drive (and it's a complete copy, including the folder structure), then you can simply right-click on the 2019 folder in the Folders Panel and choose "Update Folder Location"....that starts a file browser window, use that to navigate to and select the copy 2019 folder on the external drive. That will switch Classic's internal paths to reflect the external drive instead of the system drive. When it's done (takes a couple of seconds), and you've checked that all is good, you can delete the original 2019 folder from your system drive. No need to copy/move anything.
Thanks!
Jim I suspected that would be the way to do it but having had my share of LR file management problems in the past I wanted to be sure. Thanks for the heads up! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back