• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Changing Adobe subscription to another country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toolio

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Creative Cloud, latest versions
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all.
I have read many horror stories about people who have moved to another country and have been unable to transfer their Adobe Creative Cloud photography plan to their new country.
For this reason, I have been reluctant to change my plan from Canada to Brazil, despite having lived in Brazil for some time. My renewal is due in a month, and due to the much cheaper price in Brazil I'm determined to do it this time. I have realized from discussions here and in other forums that it seems impossible to "transfer" and account using the same email, regardless of what Adobe advises. Real world stories seem fraught with problems and failures. So I have an idea to get around this, and am wondering whether anyone has done what I'm thinking and whether it is likely to work.
1. I will use another email to start a new account in Brazil, using a Brazil credit card, a couple of weeks before this one expires.
2. I will then import all my photos into my new account, which might require downloading everything from the cloud in order to reimport into Lightroom cloudy. I also use Lightroom Classic, but imports into that program shouldn't be difficult because everything it needs is on my desktop drive. I have gigabit internet up and down, so the cloudy process shouldn't be too time consuming
3. When this is done I will close my Canadian account, which is paid for by a Canadian credit card, so it will not renew on the due date.
Has anyone done something similar? Or can anyone point out any pitfalls that would subvert this plan?
Thanks in advance.

You do not need to do anything with Lightroom Classic. Because its catalog (and the images) are stored locally, Lightroom Classic will continue to run just fine if you switch to another account. You should not notice anything at all. The only thing you may have to do is turn off syncing (if your LrC catalog is synced) and turn it on again after you have switched. You will then get some dialogs about different cloud accounts, no doubt, but in the end LrC should just sync everything up again to the new account.

You do not need to do anything with Lightroom Classic. Because its catalog (and the images) are stored locally, Lightroom Classic will continue to run just fine if you switch to another account. You should not notice anything at all. The only thing you may have to do is turn off syncing (if your LrC catalog is synced) and turn it on again after you have switched. You will then get some dialogs about different cloud accounts, no doubt, but in the end LrC should just sync everything up again to the new account.
Thanks for the reply. As you indicate, I thought that Lightroom Classic wouldn't be much of a problem. However, I also use Lightroom cloudy because I bounce back and forth between two countries, as inconvenient as it sometimes can be. Can you think of anything that will throw a huge wrench into that--assuming I use the Adobe Lightroom Downloader program to download the cloud contents and to repopulate the Adobe cloud if necessary?

Thanks for the reply. As you indicate, I thought that Lightroom Classic wouldn't be much of a problem. However, I also use Lightroom cloudy because I bounce back and forth between two countries, as inconvenient as it sometimes can be. Can you think of anything that will throw a huge wrench into that--assuming I use the Adobe Lightroom Downloader program to download the cloud contents and to repopulate the Adobe cloud if necessary?
You will indeed have to use the Downloader, but then it should be easy to upload everything again in the new account. Did you sync your Lightroom Classic catalog? If so, then you do not need to use Adobe Downloader, because Lightroom Classic will have downloaded all the cloud images already.

You will indeed have to use the Downloader, but then it should be easy to upload everything again in the new account. Did you sync your Lightroom Classic catalog? If so, then you do not need to use Adobe Downloader, because Lightroom Classic will have downloaded all the cloud images already.
Thanks again. I have not synced my entire Classic catalog. I'm currently in my "secondary location" in Canada and will be until my current Adobe account expires, so its probably best to not try to do that now. I'll use the downloader and make a backup copy of the files on a portable SSD and also put it in my regular cloud service. That way I'll be able to make repairs when I'm back to my regular home in Brasil if things don't go well here with the changing of accounts. I appreciate your help and advice.

I have not synced my entire Classic catalog.
You DO NOT have to sync the entire Classic catalog!
If Sync has been turned on in Lr-Classic, then, given sufficient time, it WILL HAVE downloaded all eco-system full-size files to the Lr-Classic catalog and a folder with your other Classic files..

Thanks. everybody, for the additional information. It is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back