• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Changes to book settings not saved? Less control of cover pages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuzzinbrucie

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Question 1: I created a book and saved it under Collections. I returned to the saved book and made several changes to the front and back cover pages. It's my understanding that any settings I change in the Book Settings column on the far right are saved as they are made. When I completed the cover changes, I clicked the Clear Layout button and then the Auto Layout button to refresh the book. The changes I had made to the cover were gone. What did I do wrong?

Question 2: It seems that the types of changes I can make to the cover pages are only a subset of the types of changes I can make to the internal pages. Having said that, I notice that Auto Layout uses the first and last images as the front cover and back cover respectively. How do I obtain the same types of changes available for internal pages for use on the front and back cover pages?

1. The [Clear Layout] and [Auto Layout] command will replace and update ALL pages- Covers included.
Only ever use [Auto Layout] at the start of a new book design. And never use [Clear Layout] unless you want to start again!

2. You can change the template for the Cover at any time (without doing a [Clear Layout]..!) With the Cover page/s selected (yellow highlight)- the context menu will allow you to choose other Cover Templates (& scroll down the previews).
1643075399839.png

Choose a template, And you then Drag and Drop ANY photo/s from the timeline onto the grey CELLs of the Front and Back Covers.

Reference your item 1, "Only ever use auto layout at the start of a new book design." I have also been using it to populate/repopulate the pages when I open an existing book in Book mode. That seems to work fine?

Reference your item 1, "Only ever use auto layout at the start of a new book design." I have also been using it to populate/repopulate the pages when I open an existing book in Book mode. That seems to work fine?
Yep, you are right. If you've got blank pages with templates, Auto Layout will fill the existing pages and then add new ones at the end. In that scenario, you don't want to Clear Layout as it'll remove all of the pages. If your aim was to remove the pictures from the pages, do that from the Library Grid view (assuming you have the duplicated book collection selected at the time).

Question 1: I created a book and saved it under Collections. I returned to the saved book and made several changes to the front and back cover pages. It's my understanding that any settings I change in the Book Settings column on the far right are saved as they are made. When I completed the cover changes, I clicked the Clear Layout button and then the Auto Layout button to refresh the book. The changes I had made to the cover were gone. What did I do wrong?
If I'm understanding you correctly, it was the Clear Layout that deleted those changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back