• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Changes to Adobe Software Availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I received this email from Adobe the other day but can't understand if it relates to my old LR 6 I still run on my old Macbook. I also saw this blog from Light Stalking about limited access to older versions.

I presently use LR Classic on my home desktop computer but LR 6 on my MacBook. I tried to upgrade the MacOS to a version that would support LR Classic but I took a huge performance hit so down graded.

Can some explain what Adobe is doing?

Thanks

Attachments

• Adobe.pdf
    124.9 KB · Views: 260
You can still run LR6 on your MacBook. If it's a perpetual license, you don't need to do anything. If it's subscription licensed and you want to be entirely legal, simply uninstall and reinstall it. If you decide not to bother, Adobe's just absolving themselves of legal responsibility.

Thanks Victoria. Adobe doesn't make it easy to understand.

Thanks Victoria. Adobe doesn't make it easy to understand.
I think they're limited by what they can legally say on this one - but yes, communication's not a strength at the best of times!

I think they're limited by what they can legally say on this one - but yes, communication's not a strength at the best of times!
As best as I can understand the root cause of this latest brouhaha is Oracle's changes to the license for commercial use of Java. You can read about the changes here Java licensing has changed, and you could be affected. These changes are public knowledge. Nothing is preventing Adobe from announcing that changes initated by Oracle have caused them to make their own changes.

This issue is a microcosm of a fundamental issue in the entire software industry. Many commercial products are built with components purchased or licenced from other companies. (Just look at the About tab for LR.) If that other company changes terms or drops support for their product, then the first-party vendor has to make adjustments or there may be impacts on the product. We saw that happen a bit earlier when Google changed the Maps API, and the Maps features in LR 6 stopped working, because Adobe (apparently) declined to update LR 6.14 to use the newer Maps API.

It has been pointed out that Avid published a nearly identical announcement for their applications, with very similar impacts regarding perpetual and subscription licenses:
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/FAQ/Changes-to-Media-Composer-Licenses-in-2019/
Due to licensing reasons, Avid will be updating Media Composer licenses and subscriptions, which will impact the software versions that they can run. Beginning May 30th, 2019, new perpetual and subscription licenses will only be able to run Media Composer 2018.9 or higher. In addition, existing subscriptions will only be able to run Media Composer 2018.9 or higher upon renewal. Please review the below Q&A for more information.

Avid is also not going into additional detail about the "licensing reasons." Something out there is apparently affecting multiple developers.

Avid is also not going into additional detail about the "licensing reasons." Something out there is apparently affecting multiple developers.

I'm going to "speculate" that the common reason is management tone-deafness to their customers' needs.

Phil

I'm going to "speculate" that the common reason is management tone-deafness to their customers' needs.
While Adobe's often (quite rightly) seen as "the bad guy", Adobe's clearly being sued for something (one might Google to see what's most likely), so they'll be watching what they're saying. They certainly could have phrased it a million times better, but this doesn't look like something they'd have done to spite their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back