• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Changes after upgrading to Mac OS Monterey from Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Smith

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 10.4 soon to be V11 hopefully
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi

Just upgraded from Mac OS Mojave to Monterey and have come across 2 issues which I would like to get resolved before upgrading my LR Classic to V11

No. 1
The location of my LR catalog is now: Macintosh HD>System>Volumes>Macintosh HD> (catalog name) and is using the previously made catalog which has the V10-lrcat in the name at the end. Is this OK as it looks quite different from before? If it needs to be relocated how is that done. I don't want to screw things up and lose everything.

No. 2
When I come to quit and make a back up I get the following message ( screen shot attached ) . What on earth does this mean and how can I get past it?

I can find my previous back ups in : Macintosh HD>System>Volumes>Macintosh HD> (catalog name)>Backups

Cheers

Bernard Newbie aged 63 Phillip Island , Australia

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 7.59.12 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 7.59.12 pm.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 137
You can't have files directly on the system disk (this changed with Catalina) hence you need to create a folder under your user to hold the catalog. The backup message is saying just the same thing, Lightroom doesn't have permission to write to the old location.

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply.

Are you saying that the location where the catalog and back ups etc are now positioned is not the right place to be?
Macintosh HD>System>Volumes>Macintosh HD> (catalog name)

Do I need to get them ( somehow ) into another location?

Lightroom is working ok and the back up process is also working fine , now that lightroom has been told where the files are locatated.

Photoshop is also looking to be working ok.

As you may be able to see I am not too savvy when it comes to all this kind of thing and just want to ensure that I don't lose anything or put it at risk as there are 16 years of images involved. Really worried now.

Is there an article or video that may be of help?

Cheers

Bernard

Can you give us a couple of screenshots from LrC, so we can try to figure out how you have things setup?

1. The General Tab of the Catalog Settings menu.
2. The Lightroom Sync Tab of the Preferences menu.

Just upgraded to OS Monteray.
I've tried to move a folder of images from LRC to the HDD where I store all 2021 images, and its saying that it cant create the folder on the destination disk (Screenshot attached) LRC is the latest version.
I cant seem to find this issue elsewhere, any ideas?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 11.32.18.png
    Screenshot 2021-10-31 at 11.32.18.png
    237.5 KB · Views: 128
Just upgraded to OS Monteray.
I've tried to move a folder of images from LRC to the HDD where I store all 2021 images, and its saying that it cant create the folder on the destination disk (Screenshot attached) LRC is the latest version.
I cant seem to find this issue elsewhere, any ideas?
MacOS has new and more tight security, that you did not have yet in Mojave. You need to give Lightroom permissions to do things like that:
catalinasecurity.png

Can you give us a couple of screenshots from LrC, so we can try to figure out how you have things setup?

1. The General Tab of the Catalog Settings menu.
2. The Lightroom Sync Tab of the Preferences menu.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 11.15.30 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 11.15.30 pm.png
    399.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 11.16.13 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 11.16.13 pm.png
    669.6 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for that, Johan. I also had to allow LrC Full disk access too, but its all working fine again now.

Thanks for that, Johan. I also had to allow LrC Full disk access too, but its all working fine again now.
Macintosh HD>System>Volumes>Macintosh HD> (catalog name) should be moved to a proper secure user storage area. Nothing should be stored on Macintosh HD out side of the private user sandbox. the safe place to store your user Lightroom data is
"Macintosh HD/Users/{userID}/Pictures/Lightroom/ (catalog name)". Another acceptable location is an external volume with proper permissions. The user, should not have access outside of the User folder or an external volume. Anything else represent a security violation and offers malware a chance to attack the core data and kernel.

Hi

Just upgraded from Mac OS Mojave to Monterey and have come across 2 issues which I would like to get resolved before upgrading my LR Classic to V11

No. 1
The location of my LR catalog is now: Macintosh HD>System>Volumes>Macintosh HD> (catalog name) and is using the previously made catalog which has the V10-lrcat in the name at the end. Is this OK as it looks quite different from before? If it needs to be relocated how is that done. I don't want to screw things up and lose everything.

No. 2
When I come to quit and make a back up I get the following message ( screen shot attached ) . What on earth does this mean and how can I get past it?

I can find my previous back ups in : Macintosh HD>System>Volumes>Macintosh HD> (catalog name)>Backups
I am confused by the screenshots provided in your post #7, as the first one shows that the catalog s NOT on the MacintoshHD drive, as you thought, but is instead on a "Data" volume. I think we need to sort this out before going any further.

I suggest you close Lightroom Classic then launch it again but this time press and hold the Opt/Alt key when clicking on the LrC icon. That will produce a "Select Catalog" dialog which lists all recently opened catalogs. Just take a screenshot of that dialog so we can see what catalogs you have opened recently, and where they are.

I am confused by the screenshots provided in your post #7, as the first one shows that the catalog s NOT on the MacintoshHD drive, as you thought, but is instead on a "Data" volume. I think we need to sort this out before going any further.

I suggest you close Lightroom Classic then launch it again but this time press and hold the Opt/Alt key when clicking on the LrC icon. That will produce a "Select Catalog" dialog which lists all recently opened catalogs. Just take a screenshot of that dialog so we can see what catalogs you have opened recently, and where they are.
Hi Jim

After upgrading to Mac OS 12 Monterey and updating LR to v11 I can confirm that the Catalog path is now:

The catalog is now named LIGHTROOM CATALOG -V10-V11.lrcat as I have upgraded to LR v11

Screenshots attached as requested.

Thanks again

Bernard

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.19.20 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.19.20 pm.png
    604.9 KB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.18.36 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 10.18.36 pm.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 121
OK, thanks. Now that you've upgraded and the catalog is now stored in a more typical place, are there still any issues that you require help with?

OK, thanks. Now that you've upgraded and the catalog is now stored in a more typical place, are there still any issues that you require help with?
Hi Jim

As far as I know all is good. Lr11 and Ps 2022 are both working well. Just time machine that needs to catch up now but that's to be expected after having changed Mac OS from Mojave to Monterey , upgraded Lr and PS and installed new version of Carbon Copy Cloner v6.0.4 to look after new Mac OS.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Take care

Bernard

I am confused by the screenshots provided in your post #7, as the first one shows that the catalog s NOT on the MacintoshHD drive, as you thought, but is instead on a "Data" volume. I think we need to sort this out
This is going to be too much “inside baseball” for some, but for anyone interested in more background as to what the “Data” volume is about…

Since macOS 10.11 Big Sur, macOS now does a fair bit of trickery and illusion to better secure the system. When you start the Mac, it first verifies the system hasn’t been tampered with or corrupted, then locks it with a hash, resulting in what’s called the Sealed System Volume. It then creates a read-only snapshot of the Sealed System Volume, and the Mac actually boots off that snapshot of the system. The point is that any malware, corrupt software, or bad actor who attempts to alter the system will only be able to get at the read-only temporary snapshot; any attempted modifications will all get reset at reboot to a safe state anyway.

The first screen shot showed a path starting with /System (leading to a virtual Volumes link), which worked in macOS 10.14 or earlier, but in later versions has become that read-only location, which is why it was no longer allowed.

The diagnosis and solution here were correct, in that you needed to get it off the System path and re-select the catalog in the /Users/ path (within the Data volume). Sounds like that’s working, as it should.

What you see as the Data volume is really the plain storage as we’re always used to, unrestricted non-system user data you can read and write.
The Mac Finder hides the new complexity, making the internal storage look like it always has, but some Open/Save dialog boxes and Disk Utility reveal how the different real and system snapshot volumes and the Data volume are actually structured.

For those wanting even more technical background on the ways macOS now mixes real files with what are actually shortcuts to read-only files elsewhere (for reliability and security) , there are good explanations at Howard Oakley’s blog, such as this article:
https://eclecticlight.co/2021/10/29/how-macos-is-more-reliable-and-doesnt-need-reinstalling/
and installed new version of Carbon Copy Cloner v6.0.4 to look after new Mac OS.
Just in case you aren’t aware and if this applies to you, the changes above have altered the time-honored practice of creating a bootable backup with utilities like Carbon Copy Cloner. Bootable backups are no longer recommended; instead you’ll find that up-to-date info (like Carbon Copy Cloner help files) recommends backing up the Data volume only, and that is what CCC does by default now. Because the System is now very walled off from user data, the way to restore a Mac now is to reinstall the system using an Apple installer, then restore the Data volume from your backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back