• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

CC program

Status
Not open for further replies.

wblink

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Why does Adobe try to force me into theit cc system?

Because that guarantees them a steady flow of income. When you buy a perpetual licence product, they never know if you will buy the next upgrade too.

Because that guarantees them a steady flow of income. When you buy a perpetual licence product, they never know if you will buy the next upgrade too.

Steady is part of it; being able to forecast it is even more important to a US public company.

and CC stops pirating ;)

I wish they had a stand alone LRCC; or would make new tools available to the LR6 owners even if we had to pay for them.
I don't need photoshop as I have an old and legal CS2 and PSE12. I spend too much time on the computer now lol

That is what I was thinking: they try to bind me. Anyway I would do this? And WHY?
It seems they like income more than happy customers. Once in the cloud you are utterly lost into the Adobe darkness.
Why don't you want to choose for yourself and let competition take it's way?

That is what I was thinking: they try to bind me. Anyway I would do this? And WHY?
It seems they like income more than happy customers. Once in the cloud you are utterly lost into the Adobe darkness.
Huh?

Buy another product then. For many of us the Photography plan is a great bargain. I guess for you it isn't. Adobe isn't "forcing" you to do anything.

I did choose for myself. I have used multiple raw converters in the past. I moved full time to Lightroom a couple of years ago from Capture One. Then I moved to CC.

So choose for yourself! Buy the perpetual license version, or switch to Capture One or DxO.

Huh?

Buy another product then. For many of us the Photography plan is a great bargain. I guess for you it isn't. Adobe isn't "forcing" you to do anything.

I do agree Rob; however it's more long term that concerns me. Once we are all hooked up to a plan there is not a lot from stopping adobe from jacking up the monthly fees; we can only trust they will not.

Let us say I stop doing as much hobby photography/editing in year or two then the fee becomes just a cost I don't really use. I'm used to using LR; don't want to learn another program and as I understand it I cannot move LRCC (or lr6) back to my old and owned LR5.

The plan is great value for working photographers who will use more of the Adobe programs; but as a hobby photographer it can be an expensive enough hobby without having to pay out another fee every month for the editing program I'm sort of locked into using even if I only use it a few times/hours a month

And that is why I have not signed up to CC or purchased LR6 that the kids gave me for my birthday several months ago [there also seems to be some slowness dramas with LRCC/6. I have had and am still having my share of dramas with LR5 so I don't want to buy more]

For some Rob; it's not the clear cut bargin many think it is.

I do agree Rob; however it's more long term that concerns me. Once we are all hooked up to a plan there is not a lot from stopping adobe from jacking up the monthly fees; we can only trust they will not.

Let us say I stop doing as much hobby photography/editing in year or two then the fee becomes just a cost I don't really use. I'm used to using LR; don't want to learn another program and as I understand it I cannot move LRCC (or lr6) back to my old and owned LR5.

You can, but it would be quite a bit of work and you would lose those edits that are specific to Lightroom 6/CC. You could select all images in Lightroom CC and then choose 'Save metadata'. Next, you start Lightroom 5, make a fresh new catalog and import all the images. You would have to recreate all your (smart) collections, so it's not ideal, but it can be done if you really want to.

If you are afraid of this scenario, you can also buy Lightroom 6 right now rather than take a subscription to Lightroom CC. Lightroom 6 is also owned, just like Lightroom 5. It will never expire, so there is no difference whatsoever with Lightroom 5 in this respect. The only thing is that you don't get Photoshop CC too, so you will have to use another external editor.

I'm a hobby photographer, and happily subscribe to the Photography Plan. I suppose it's possible that at some point in the future either my enthusiasm will wane, or my advancing years will preclude me from using my very expensive (and heavy) equipment. At that point I might conclude that I no longer need Photoshop or indeed any new Lightroom features, so I might then decide to let my subscription lapse. At that point I will still be able to use Lightroom, all that I'll lose is access to the Develop and Map modules (but if I'm not shooting anymore, that'll be no big deal, right?), and I'll lose access to mobile sync (again probably no big deal). All my existing library will still be available to me (I can even still develop in needed using the Quick Develop function), I can still organise and export and print and publish, etc. And won't be paying any more money.

Still sounds like a bargain to me!

I might then decide to let my subscription lapse. At that point I will still be able to use Lightroom, all that I'll lose is access to the Develop and Map modules (but if I'm not shooting anymore, that'll be no big deal, right?), and I'll lose access to mobile sync (again probably no big deal). All my existing library will still be available to me (I can even still develop in needed using the Quick Develop function
Yes, lets nor forget we can keep on using important parts of Lightroom after stopping subscription!

I honestly don't understand why we have this discussion in the first place. Adobe offers Lightroom as a perpetual license (Lightroom 6) and as a subscription (Lightroom CC). Nothing has changed compared to Lightroom 5. Sure, they like you to choose CC, so they push that heavily and keep Lr 6 low profile. But they do offer the choice.

In a few years it might be different, if (and only if) they never introduce a Lightroom 7. That's the moment this complaint about being tied up into a subscription becomes valid. Not now.

Last edited:
Collections with Lightroom CC

Now that I have committed to LR CC. Do I have to make different collections for all my images in my catalogue from the past 15 years to access/view them on any any device?

The plan is great value for working photographers who will use more of the Adobe programs; but as a hobby photographer it can be an expensive enough hobby without having to pay out another fee every month for the editing program I'm sort of locked into using even if I only use it a few times/hours a month

And that is why I have not signed up to CC or purchased LR6 that the kids gave me for my birthday several months ago [there also seems to be some slowness dramas with LRCC/6. I have had and am still having my share of dramas with LR5 so I don't want to buy more]

For some Rob; it's not the clear cut bargin many think it is.
I agree that for some, it might become unaffordable in the future. But it is a great bargain, full stop, compared to what Ps/Lr cost in years past.

You are worrying that they may raise the price; perhaps they should. It's been successful, and if I were an Adobe shareholder I might want them to. They aren't a non-profit. You have the choice to adapt, or pay. Not much different than how things go in the rest of life.

I don't mean to be mean, but if you get into photography as a hobby, with say anything that does RAW, and it's spendy. One prime lens costs about what years worth of Lr CC costs; it's the price of prosumerism. You can take perfect good JPEGs with a smartphone and do amazing things with them in editors that cost a couple of bucks on that same smartphone, and keep thousands organized, without ever getting near Lr. In fact, there are probably more photos organized on smartphones and Instagram and iCloud than in all of our Lr catalogs. I paid more for darkroom supplies, or rental, or for photo processing back in the day of film than I'd ever spend on Lr CC. And if you only use it a few times a month, why use it? There are probably SO many easier programs to use, many of them free.

Now that I have committed to LR CC. Do I have to make different collections for all my images in my catalogue from the past 15 years to access/view them on any any device?

Hello Robert!

No, you do not need to. Just select the collection (does not work with folders!), right-klick and select Sync with Lightroom mobile.

Wolfgang

Hello Robert!

No, you do not need to. Just select the collection (does not work with folders!), right-klick and select Sync with Lightroom mobile.

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang.

I have not made a lot of collections in the past. I do understand how they work with LR CC. In the past I have had had my 75,000 m/l images on an external HD and able to go back several years and enjoy images from the past. Now are you saying I need to make collections from all my images to view them if I don't have access to my HD>

Thanks,

Thanks Wolfgang.

I have not made a lot of collections in the past. I do understand how they work with LR CC. In the past I have had had my 75,000 m/l images on an external HD and able to go back several years and enjoy images from the past. Now are you saying I need to make collections from all my images to view them if I don't have access to my HD>

Thanks,
Obviously your photos, or some versions of them, have to get from your external HD to your other devices. Collections are the way that you decide which to use with that process. Lr uses smart previews to show the photos; it doesn't actually upload the raw or original. So they're smaller files.

Lightroom Mobile isn't meant to be set up like a file server or even backup storage; it's just a way to pass photos back and forth for some editing chores. If you want access to those 75k of photos from all devices everywhere, then either copy them to cloud storage (Lr Mobile isn't that) or share that external over the internet. A lot of NAS can do that, or something like one of Netgear's routers with the external attached as a readyshare volume.

You could also check out Mylio; its forte is synching between devices. It also doesn't (necessarily) store in the cloud, but it lets you sync say some folders on an external to a smartphone, and other folders to a tablet, and so on.

thanks to those who took the time to read and comment on my post; all good thoughts :)

Rob said " but if you get into photography as a hobby".
I'm still slowing down from being a working photographer and wishing I knew back then what I know now.
Life is in some what of a holding pattern atm
Wish we had todays gear 20 odd years ago also; would be so much easier do a wedding or chase kids up and down river banks with an OLY EM1. Do miss the aerial stuff but not the 120 format cameras. Much preferred 35mm gear

Hei all. I'm an enthusiastic amateur photographer (now retired from paid work), an exile from Aperture, an ex-user of Lr 5 perpetual and now with the photographers CC package. I was looking to upgrade to Lr 6 but I did my sums and worked out that if I kept upgrading my perpetual licence (as I'd be most likely to do) it would actually cost more in the longer term than going with CC. And I now have Ps to play with.

Now I know Adobe may (will?) put the price up at some point but the monthly CC fee is currently only 2.5 or 3 cups of good takeaway coffee per month and is small bikkies when you think about how much we might pay for our camera gear, computers, EHDs, ext monitors, printers, iPads, mobile phones, internet service, cloud backup service etc etc. Lr is the engine room of my photography and so for me its money well spent. I'm very lucky to be in relatively good financial shape but if its a financial issue then, as photographers, I'd suggest that something else in the monthly budget should be looked at first. Shun the cafe and get a good coffee maker at home for example!:)

I've hesitated on entering discussions on this for sometime. Until recently I've been on the side of perpetual license. However using simple math, it seems subscription based costs less. I think a fair comparison for the photography plan needs to assume purchase of both PS and LR perpetual licenses. So currently LR full version is $149, Upgrade: $79, Photoshop CS6 $699 to over $1,000. I used the least expensive, LR 6 upgrade $79 and PS Full $699, since I've never owned PS to qualify for upgrade.

My math; If I were to buy LR 6 upgrade & PS CS6 it would cost $778. Now the cost of the Photography CC package, $9.99 mo. How long would I need to subscribe to equal the cost of purchasing perpetual licenses? According to my calculator 77.87 mo or 6.4 yrs.

Of course that assumes that Adobe does not increase the monthly subscription rate. Also it does not include as the frequency Adobe rolls out new versions. With the photography package I would get PS, a very nice program (though I think it's over-priced), something that I may not use that much, but can do more than just touch up photos.

Currently I do use LR5.7, OnOne PPS 9, and have Corel Paintshop Pro X6. There's some touch-up that I can do with each, but seems they just don't integrate, provide the quality results as what I'm finding with the Trial version of PSCC. So I think I'll be joining the CC crowd..

Of course that assumes that Adobe does not increase the monthly subscription rate.

It seems unlikely they'll do so anytime soon - they rarely increased the prices of upgrades significantly, and all the same arguments could have been made there too.

Johan,

It is NOT the way you assume. Your moves are of no value to us since you did not write anything about them.

Thanks for reading this and please go on with your ongoing mission to gain.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back