• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Catalogue Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfnotts785

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 11.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am seeking to build a catalogue from images already on my computer. I have the images in a folder structure with year and then sub-folders for places/subjects. Lightroomn doesn't seem to recognise the names folders but imports only under the dates the images were made. Is there a way of importing from the hard drive into a LR catalogue as is? That is with my folder structure with the named folders and subfolders. I am looking to migrate from Affinity to LR/PS so have nearly 80,000 images to build into a LR catalogue.

When importing from existing folders on a hard drive, and you want to preserve that existing folder structure, make sure that you set the Import Option to "ADD" (top centre of the main Import screen). It sounds as though you had the "Copy" option selected instead, and in the Destination panel (which you won't see if "Add" is chosen) you were telling LrC to copy the images into a date-based folder scheme.

Thanks but I definitely had ADD selected and LR was just adding the images in date taken order without the named folders andf sub-folders.

Thanks but I definitely had ADD selected and LR was just adding the images in date taken order without the named folders andf sub-folders.

If you import from multiple folders during that one import, ALL of the photos will be shown in the special collection "Previous Import". Being a collection, it does not distinguish between the different sub-folders that the images are stored in, so when that collection is selected (and by default LrC will switch to that collection automatically after an import, though that can be changed in the LrC Preferences) you will see all the images shown in Capture Time order.

However, the Folders Panel should still show all the various folders and sub-folders that the images are stored in, so if that's how you want to view them simply select the specific folder via the Folders Panel.

Thank you for this explanation, much appreciated.
That is excatly what was happenig BUT the folders panel did not show the individual folders and sub-folders.
Is the answer then to import each year individually and would doing that show the individual folders and sub-folders? It would be pain since my back catalogue starts at 2002 but if that is what I need to do then I will have to do it.

There is a disconnect here somewhare. Let's make sure we're all talking about the same thing
1) Lightroom CLASSIC, right?
2 If you use File Manager (win) or Finder (Mac) and look at where your images are RIGHT NOW are they in your desired folder structure?
3) in the import dialog, in the left panel, you select the parent folder of the folders containing you images, or all the desired folders, and you have "include subfolders" selected. In other words, in the left panel of the import dialog you can see the desired folder structure and you have it selected
4) at the top center of the import dialog you have selected "Add" (not "Move", "Copy", or "Copy as DNG)
5) in the right panel of the import dialog, the "Destination" panel is not present.
6) you see all your images in the central section of the Import dialog
7) After you import, the images as viewed in Finder or File Manager are still where they were before

If you did all of that, then in the Library modeul, left panel group, folders panel navigate to the drive and folders you just tried to import and the pre-existing folders will be there as seen in Finder or File Manager The order of the IMAGES in any given folder will be shown based on the sort option you select for the grid.

Once again thank you.
Yes Lightroom Classic.
Did exactly as you say but no result as you describe. However, I will try again tomorrow as I have no time today due to dinner then a meeting.
Obviously I'm likely doing something wrong. It is a rebuild of a catalogue that got deleted in a HDD change; the original was perfect as set up.

Thank you for this explanation, much appreciated.
That is excatly what was happenig BUT the folders panel did not show the individual folders and sub-folders.
Is the answer then to import each year individually and would doing that show the individual folders and sub-folders? It would be pain since my back catalogue starts at 2002 but if that is what I need to do then I will have to do it.
Can you post a screenshot of the Folders Panel (making sure any drives listed there are expanded so that the contents can be seen)?

Thanks. Yes but I'm awaiting delivery of a new external 2TB ssd HDD on which I intend to put the catalogue so it will be a couple of days before I can do a screenshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back