• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

catalogue issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike doyle

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
build {201915101439-b660523e
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
hi all,
i have just upgraded my pc to win 10, and also LR classic 9, having to upgrade my catalogue when i did this. each time i start LR now it says the catalogue needs to be upgraded and creates a new one numbered sequentially each time i start up. if i try and use the previous catalogue number, it says it is in use by another application and i need to stop this. there s no other application running.
thoughts please?

Last edited:
a) You probably have Lightroom set to always open your old catalogue. You can double-click on one of the newly upgraded ones and then go to preferences and set that one to be the catalogue to open.

b) If you get the "in use by another application" message, go to the folder that your catalogue resides in and delete a file that starts with your catalogue name and has the extension ".lock". That will allow you to open that catalogue.

a) You probably have Lightroom set to always open your old catalogue. You can double-click on one of the newly upgraded ones and then go to preferences and set that one to be the catalogue to open.

b) If you get the "in use by another application" message, go to the folder that your catalogue resides in and delete a file that starts with your catalogue name and has the extension ".lock". That will allow you to open that catalogue.
cheers hal, wasnt sure what the lock files were but that makes sense. do you know why the catalogues developed these lock files?
cheers
mike d

The lock files are deleted when Lightroom closes normally. If it crashes or your computer crashes, the lock file remains. It's purpose is to keep you from opening the same catalogue twice, but as you experienced, it gives a false positive under some circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back