• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalogue gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I just went to edit a photo and it says 0 photos in Lightroom. What could have happened. I am fairly new here but I have used an old version of LR6.12 for years. This scares me. When I go to post a screen shot it says it is too big. How do I make it smaller please.

This is how my Lightroom screen came up but I can't get into develop

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 12.31.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 12.31.05 PM.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 12.34.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 12.34.00 PM.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 183
So this is how my Library can up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 2.09.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 2.09.33 PM.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
Here is photoshop. No images in my computer. With all that is going on in the world this should seem minor .. but it really affects my work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 5.37.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 5.37.27 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 198
All these images are 'missing', meaning that Lightroom can't find them because they were moved to a different (parent) folder, or that (parent) folder was renamed. Photoshop can have the same problem if you use 'Open recent' and pick a file that was moved. The Lightroom metadata panel shows that the currently selected image in the screenshot should be in the folder '2020-04-30'. It's quite possible that this entire folder is 'missing', but the screenshot does not show that part of the folder panel.

In any case the solution is simple, but needs some methodical work. You need to find out where that image (or preferably its folder) is, and then 'reconnect' Lightroom to it. By itself that is an easy procedure (Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen), but you do need to find out where the images are.

Thank you. When I go into my pictures in Finder the folders show up but there is nothing in them. I have tried to search for missing images before and after hitting locate a blank page comes up. I spent all day yesterday reading and watching for solutions. I am baffled. Thanks for replying. I will go and try again.

Thank you. When I go into my pictures in Finder the folders show up but there is nothing in them. I have tried to search for missing images before and after hitting locate a blank page comes up. I spent all day yesterday reading and watching for solutions. I am baffled. Thanks for replying. I will go and try again.

I have just read the article. I am on my iPad but will go have a try soon. I notice they say not to sync and that is what Adobe remote tried to do. It was when he was doing the remote that the files disappeared from my folders and then they could not find them either.

Here is where I am. Can someone please tell me the next step. From this it looks like I might get my original photos but not the edits. I can reedit if necessary but what is the next .. should I set as download creation for creative cloud?
thanks anyone

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 10.03.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 10.03.19 AM.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 179
Here is where I am. Can someone please tell me the next step. From this it looks like I might get my original photos but not the edits. I can reedit if necessary but what is the next .. should I set as download creation for creative cloud?
thanks anyone
I'm sorry, but I do not understand what you are trying to achieve. Your original photos are not online in the Creative Cloud, so how is setting the download location to this folder (or any other folder) going to help you to get back your original images in your opinion?

Thanks. I do not understand either. I am just trying everything, My focus now is to get my pictures back into there folders on my HD. I have found this path for one of my pictures but if I go to finder and get to the pictures folders they are empty. Do you think I should call the Geek Squad tomorrow? It will be expensive but I do not know what else to do. Adobe remote help lost the pictures and could not seem to get them back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 12.28.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 12.28.16 PM.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 181
Thanks. I do not understand either. I am just trying everything, My focus now is to get my pictures back into there folders on my HD. I have found this path for one of my pictures but if I go to finder and get to the pictures folders they are empty. Do you think I should call the Geek Squad tomorrow? It will be expensive but I do not know what else to do. Adobe remote help lost the pictures and could not seem to get them back.
This screenshot seems to shoe that 5 image files are in this folder. I am not following you when you say they are not there in the Finder. Can you elaborate?

--Ken

Yes hard to explain. In my finder/Shari/pictures .. when I go into a folder there are no images. I am too tired now but tomorrow I will try to explain. my Pictures all disappeared after that Adobe remote person spent a couple of hours trying to find the catalogue or fix the problem.

Yes hard to explain. In my finder/Shari/pictures .. when I go into a folder there are no images. I am too tired now but tomorrow I will try to explain. my Pictures all disappeared after that Adobe remote person spent a couple of hours trying to find the catalogue or fix the problem.
Your screenshot shows that these pictures did not disappear. They are right there in the '2020-01-27' folder, which is located in a 'Lightroom' parent folder that is located in your Pictures folder. What you need to do is find one of these pictures in the Lightroom catalog, and check what folder hierarchy Lightroom thinks it should be.

An earlier screenshot gives you a very big hint. Lightroom thinks that you have a hierarchy as follows: 'Pictures > 2007 > 2007-03-31'. It's a bit messy, with some subfolders in the wrong hierarchy, but basically that is what it is: 'Pictures > Year > Date'. That is different from what this latest screenshot of the Finder shows, which is Pictures > Lightroom > Date. That is the problem and that can be fixed by using 'Find Missing Folder'. Unfortunately, you will probably have to do this on the dated folders, so one by one...

That is my problem Johan.. I found some like this late yesterday however when I go into my pictures folder in Mac finder they are empty. When I try to bring up an image in Photoshop or on1 that picture is not available. When I follow the path I can find some through using missing photos when it says “the file you are looking for is associated with another file in the catalogue. When I try to open they come up in Topaz?!

when I find some of these images and try to open in develop it will say “could not be used because the original file could not be found..would you like to locate it ..and when I click locate the folder in finder comes as a blank page.

i am going to try one more shot with Adobe Remote as they made all the changes remotely and said he could not find the catalogue but in trying he misplaced all my images. They have to be somewhere but I cannot get to them through Finder as picture folders are empty. I am on my iPad now but will start with this again shortly.

i had someone come in and set up the hierarchy for me years ago when I had LR 2 and have never had a problem until now Switching from 6.12 to subscribing to classic.

thanks for taking the time to comment .. this seems to be a big mess..totally out of the blue.
Shari

Somehow we are not speaking the same language it seems. I don’t understand why you keep saying that the folders in the Finder are ‘empty’ and then post a screenshot that shows they are not.
This is what happens. When I click on the folders to get the images nothing is in the folders. I would like them back in that position.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.36.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 11.36.19 AM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 173
This is what happens. When I click on the folders to get the images nothing is in the folders. I would like them back in that position.
This screenshot only shows folders but in #37 you showed us a screenshot of one of those folders opened. There were photos visable. How about all these other folders?

Nothing is in any of the folders. The only way I can get to some images is to go through locate missing photos and that takes forever assuming it comes up. When I get a message ..the file is associated with another file in the catalogue .. is there any way to find that original file?

This screenshot shows nothing. It shows a bunch of folders, not what is in those folders.

When I get a message ..the file is associated with another file in the catalogue .. is there any way to find that original file?
That message means that you are trying to reconnect the missing image in Lightroom to the wrong image on disk. The selected image on disk is already in Lightroom, but it it is a different image, not the one you are trying to reconnect.

It seems that you are trying to reconnect individual images (by clicking on the exclamation mark) rather than missing folders. You can only get this error when you reconnect images, not when you reconnect folders and the latter is what you should do.

I am totally mixed up. Now they have a senior technician from Adobe .. another hour. He thinks his assistant could have put my files in Iomega but can only find up to 2011 and says I will have to reinstall one by one take me back to last Wednesday when everything was fine

Just got off with Adobe. They are going to have someone contact me in 48 hours. He admits that their operator made a mistake but that does not help me. I can not get into my photos from on1 or Photoshop either. anyway. I know people are dealing with much worse problems all over the world right now so I will take a walk and get some more images and hope they download from my camera and I can edit. Thanks for all your help and understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back