• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogue changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgiantaff

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm a new user to LR Classic although have been using the desktop version (now LR 6.14) for years. I put the LR Classic catalogue onto a fast flash drive so I could use LR Classic on a laptop as well as my desktop. No problem there... However, I see that if I try to run LR 6.14 it will not read the Classic catalogue. That is a problem. If I decide to cancel my subscription, I realise I can still use the Classic interface to see my files, but without the develop option. Is there a way I could downgrade the Classic catalogue so it can be used by LR 6.14 please?

Simple answer is no, you cannot downgrade a Classic catalog to use with 6.14.....but why do you need to do that? Can't you run Classic on both your systems (the subscription license allows you to do that)?

Simple answer is no, you cannot downgrade a Classic catalog to use with 6.14.....but why do you need to do that? Can't you run Classic on both your systems (the subscription license allows you to do that)?
Thank you.Yes, I can (and am) using Classic on both systems. However, if I cancelled the Classic sub then I'm assuming I'd need to (1) keep the Classic app in order to view photos up until then, and (2) use LR 6.14 for new shots. A tad confusing...... surely there's a better way?

Thank you.Yes, I can (and am) using Classic on both systems. However, if I cancelled the Classic sub then I'm assuming I'd need to (1) keep the Classic app in order to view photos up until then, and (2) use LR 6.14 for new shots. A tad confusing...... surely there's a better way?
No, there isn't a better way. The only thing you could do to keep everything in one catalog in that case would be to use a two-step method (I never tried if it really works, but it should work): Because Lightroom Classic running in 'expired mode' can still import images, so you could first import your images in Lightroom 6.14, edit them, save metadata to files, and then import them in Lightroom Classic.

No, there isn't a better way. The only thing you could do to keep everything in one catalog in that case would be to use a two-step method (I never tried if it really works, but it should work): Because Lightroom Classic running in 'expired mode' can still import images, so you could first import your images in Lightroom 6.14, edit them, save metadata to files, and then import them in Lightroom Classic.
OK, thanks. I've not seen the expression "expired mode" before but I'll look it up and try that. Thanks.

In reading this, had a thought that I have not tried and don't know if it is valid or not. In LR/6 can you "import from another catalog" where the other catalog is an LR/Classic catalog? I'm pretty sure that won't work, but may be worth an experiment.

The other thing you may be able to do if you decide in the future to revert back to LR/6, is to make sure you've saved XMP data for all images imported or worked on since you started using LR/Classic. then import those images into LR/6. This should work but with some gaps. You will lose collection information as well as Publish Service information. Keyword info may get tangled up depending on how much was changed during your use of LR/Classic. The images imported will have the develop settings per the LR/Classic catalog but the history of changes will be gone. If you used a new develop tool in Classic that does not exist in LR/6 I'm not sure what the result will be. I suspect LR6 will ignore those changes but I'm guessing. There may be some other gotcha's as well. Has anyone tried this?

In reading this, had a thought that I have not tried and don't know if it is valid or not. In LR/6 can you "import from another catalog" where the other catalog is an LR/Classic catalog? I'm pretty sure that won't work, but may be worth an experiment.
Lightroom recognizes the version of catalogs. Each version that has a different database structure will only be able to convert catalogs from that version and earlier versions. Versions that are more recent will not be converted and a message will be shown stating that the catalog to import is from a newer version of Lightroom. The solution to an expired Classic license has already been given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back