• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh1209

Lightroom Version Number
V12
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
I was curious how often most people create a new catalog? I have images all the way back to 2009 in my current catalog and often think it would be beneficial to start from scratch periodically. Perhaps t isn’t necessary but I was curious what others do.

Most folks here try to stick to a one catalog approach as it offers better use of things like Collections and searching. If you do not remember a lot about a photo, having many catalogs negates a lot of the search features that LR Classic offers. Yes, there are times when separate catalogs are needed, so this is not an absolute approach. I have my primary catalog for my personal work, and then have a catalog for work that I did for a nonprofit agency for approximately 10 years. Those photos were very limited in how they could be used, so it made sense to have them in their own catalog.

Post if you have more questions about this, but I would first search as you will find many threads about this subject.

Good luck,

--Ken

Never.

Well, almost never. There are a few cases where a new catalog is in the cards. One is when adobe requires you to "update" your catalog in order to use a new version. But, I don't think that is what you are talking about.

If you have a masssive number of images in your catalog (let's say over half a million) and you almost never access those over, say, 10 years old, you may wish to split out the old images into an "archive" catalog. Some people do this when their catalog size on disk gets bigger than they like.

I've also seen people get to a point where they want to segregate images for some reason. For example, professional images from personal images (e.g. for a wedding photographer). another example is someone collecting scanned historical family images from many family members and wish to keep those seperate from their own photography.

Another example is where a couple were using a single catalog but then as they both got more and more into photography it became cumbersome for them both to not be able to work in LrC at the same time. So this would be a valid case for seperate catalog for each of them (of course that would make it difficult to put together a set of images for a trip from both of their cameras)

I'm sure there are other valid use cases for a second catalog but if we're just talking about your own images, in non stratospheric numbers, the answer is ONE CATALOG.

Most folks here try to stick to a one catalog approach as it offers better use of things like Collections and searching. If you do not remember a lot about a photo, having many catalogs negates a lot of the search features that LR Classic offers. Yes, there are times when separate catalogs are needed, so this is not an absolute approach. I have my primary catalog for my personal work, and then have a catalog for work that I did for a nonprofit agency for approximately 10 years. Those photos were very limited in how they could be used, so it made sense to have them in their own catalog.

Post if you have more questions about this, but I would first search as you will find many threads about this subject.

Good luck,

--Ken
I was just wondering after several years if it was best to just start off with a fresh catalog to prevent corruption within the catalog itself?

I was just wondering after several years if it was best to just start off with a fresh catalog to prevent corruption within the catalog itself?
Backup your catalog(s) and backup your images, regardless of how many of either you have. You want to be prepared if you have a problem like a disc crash.

--Ken

I am a staunch supporter of only using one catalogue. Having more only defeats the purpose the catalogue system. Easy to have a root folder and subfolders of your main categories.

I only create a new catalogue on my laptop when I travel. I name it based on the trip. When I get home I copy the catalogue to the portable drive that contains the files and plug it into the desktop. I use the "Import from another catalogue command". This merges my travel catalogue into the master catalogue. All edits are retained.

I am a staunch supporter of only using one catalogue. Having more only defeats the purpose the catalogue system. Easy to have a root folder and subfolders of your main categories.

I only create a new catalogue on my laptop when I travel. I name it based on the trip. When I get home I copy the catalogue to the portable drive that contains the files and plug it into the desktop. I use the "Import from another catalogue command". This merges my travel catalogue into the master catalogue. All edits are retained.
I do exactly the same when I’m traveling? What I’m trying to ask has nothing to do with multiple catalogs. All I’m asking is after a certain period of time is it best to make a new catalog just to mitigate risk of corruption and such? I’ve had the same catalog since 2009 and use Lightroom mobile as well. I sync collections between the two but only have smart previews in Lightroom mobile.

I do exactly the same when I’m traveling? What I’m trying to ask has nothing to do with multiple catalogs. All I’m asking is after a certain period of time is it best to make a new catalog just to mitigate risk of corruption and such? I’ve had the same catalog since 2009 and use Lightroom mobile as well. I sync collections between the two but only have smart previews in Lightroom mobile.
Sorry I was only explaining only the reason I would create another catalogue. My catalogue goes back to 2011. I don't feel like there is a good time to create another one yet. Reading about catalogues here and at other sites there is no known limit to the size. I have read about one being ten million +.

While I don't often go back sometimes I do and I don't find it a detriment in any way. Not yet anyway.

Sorry I was only explaining only the reason I would create another catalogue. My catalogue goes back to 2011. I don't feel like there is a good time to create another one yet. Reading about catalogues here and at other sites there is no known limit to the size. I have read about one being ten million +.

While I don't often go back sometimes I do and I don't find it a detriment in any way. Not yet anyway.
That is crazy. I can’t imagine having 10 million photos lol I have a long way to go to ever reach that.

That is crazy. I can’t imagine having 10 million photos lol I have a long way to go to ever reach that.
That one was for a project so not for personal use. I couldn't either.

The answer to your question is very simple and easy. There is no need to worry about what you are worried about.

I've been using LR forever and have a huge amount of several kinds of raw and tiff files (scans). Like almost everyone, I use one cat. No need to ever update it for age or corruption concerns. Besides, LR does that for you on new versions like it did on 11 and 12 just in the past 6 months.

Rest easy and don't worry about it.

The answer to your question is very simple and easy. There is no need to worry about what you are worried about.

I've been using LR forever and have a huge amount of several kinds of raw and tiff files (scans). Like almost everyone, I use one cat. No need to ever update it for age or corruption concerns. Besides, LR does that for you on new versions like it did on 11 and 12 just in the past 6 months.

Rest easy and don't worry about it.
Good point. I have been using LR since 2011 and have never had single issue with all the upgrades including the catalogue. I think managing your system far more important, which after the until setup is very easy. When new users start to ask questions I post these two links.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-catalogs-top-10-misunderstandings/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7aho7wdJi8

Good point. I have been using LR since 2011 and have never had single issue with all the upgrades including the catalogue. I think managing your system far more important, which after the until setup is very easy. When new users start to ask questions I post these two links.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-catalogs-top-10-misunderstandings/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7aho7wdJi8
Yeah, I’ve been using the same catalog since 2009 and I’m so neurotic with it that I do a back up and optimize catalog every single time that I log out. I guess I’m just worrying about nothing lol

Yeah, I’ve been using the same catalog since 2009 and I’m so neurotic with it that I do a back up and optimize catalog every single time that I log out. I guess I’m just worrying about nothing lol
I don't think you did. We fear what we don't understand. Fear leads to hate, hate leads to. Oh sorry. That was Yoda and doubt he used LR.

Just the one and if you include digitised prints, mine goes back to 1850 :)
As Zenon says, it defeats the purpose to have more than one catalogue. Book libraries generally have only one catalogue. Deterioration is not a problem if you regularly check folder synchronization and correct any loose ends. Also, often, maybe always, with new LrC versions, the old catalogue will be recreated in the new format so it remains current.

You may want to cull your number of backups at some point so they do not consume your hard drive. It is good to have a number of points of time, depending on how much you use your catalog, but you are not necessarily better served with too many.

--Ken

You may want to cull your number of backups at some point so they do not consume your hard drive. It is good to have a number of points of time, depending on how much you use your catalog, but you are not necessarily better served with too many.

--Ken
I only keep a month of backups usually and I use it everyday.

I only keep a month of backups usually and I use it everyday.
I optimise and back up weekly. About monthly, I'll delete all bar the last three backups and any second import copies more than about a month old. Every few months, I'll check folder synchronisation at the highest level. If there are issues, I'll drill down to find and fix them.
Actually, that reminds me of a feature request. It would be good to be able to run a folder synchronisation report to allow us to immediately locate the issue. Currently, it tells you how many issues there are in a folder. You then have to drill down through the folder hierarchy to find the offending subfolder then the actual image, but that's another matter.

I optimise and back up weekly. About monthly, I'll delete all bar the last three backups and any second import copies more than about a month old. Every few months, I'll check folder synchronisation at the highest level. If there are issues, I'll drill down to find and fix them.
Actually, that reminds me of a feature request. It would be good to be able to run a folder synchronisation report to allow us to immediately locate the issue. Currently, it tells you how many issues there are in a folder. You then have to drill down through the folder hierarchy to find the offending subfolder then the actual image, but that's another matter.
That would be a good feature/ addition

Yes. Optimize and Check integrity via a shut down.

--Ken
I assigned an old 1TB EHD to be my exclusive Lightroom Catalog backup volume. That way I don't need to worry about manual housekeeping chores for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back