• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalog will not backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Whittle

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I have Lightroom CC with the latest version. I have routinely backed up my catalog to a separate drive with no issue. All of a sudden says it cannot backup and suggest the drive or file is read only. I have tried to backup to a different drive and folder with the same results. I am wondering if the latest update caused this problem. If not does anyone have a suggestion?

If all of the reports are from Windows users, it could have identified the problem. It is clear with the 4GB warning message on the Mac that Adobe has been tinkering with the LR backup process. "If it ain't broke, don't dink with it!"

• If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would've said "a faster horse" - Henry Ford
  • An engineer would say - "If it ain't broke, it does not have enough features yet."
  • A tester would say: "If it ain't broke, you haven't looked hard enough."
  • When you're standing on railroad tracks, standing still isn't the safest course of action. (And that train of change? It's coming. Fast.)
  • If that were true, we'd still be in the stone age. Evolution isn't exclusive to biology.
  • The telegraph wasn't broke.

Just because I like to argue.... :D

What do you mean that "it works perfectly on the Mac..."? I am getting the message that my catalog is larger than 4GB when it is not. That's not working perfectly. I can ignore the message and the catalog file will save as a zipped file and MacOS utilities will unzip it. So the warning message does not cause the backup to fail on the Mac. So I would describe that as "working but imperfectly". :)

There's a false error message on Mac, but that's just a cosmetic issue. Hitting the Don't Show Again solves it.

On Windows, there's a bigger issue. Like David (OP), I was able to reproduce an issue backing up a user's catalog on Windows, which backed up as expected on Mac, so there's nothing wrong with the catalog. It appears to only affect specific catalogs, and I've attached the user's catalog to the bug report.

There's a false error message on Mac, but that's just a cosmetic issue. Hitting the Don't Show Again solves it.

It's not even an error message. It's just a warning (but indeed sometimes a false warning).

I can go to the hard drive with the catalog backups and delete old back ups and copy in new backups. My Cat files are on the order of 1.4 gigs. All my hard drives are NTFS so the 4 gig limits are probably not a player. If I uncheck the two boxes 1. optimize the file and 2. Check the integrity of the file. The backup works fine

David, what's your catalog name? We have a bug confirmed with double-byte characters in the catalog name.

My catalog is " Daves Pictures-8- 16"
Based on Victoria's comment above, try renaming the catalog to something very simple; like "Dave2016" and eliminate all symbols and special characters.

One more comment to this discussion: I also had this issue. Following one advise I copyed the "config.lua" file to the LR preferencies folder and the backup worked fine.
Then I thought that double charachter issue and changed the catalog name so that it no more contains the character ä (which is common in finnish language)
and removed the config.lua file and the backup still works.
Let's mention that the whole issue from the beginning concerned only this one catalog (I have three of them).

Hope you can understand. what I'm trying to say. My english is quite primitive.

Attachments

• Virheilm.JPG
    Virheilm.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 304
Your English is very understandable Gronlund, and that makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back