• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

catalog upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickMarshall1

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I read the Nov 13 2019 blogpost about Lr asking to upgrade my catalog and wondered what catalog I was using.
I checked and noticed that I had several catalogs - see below:
1576031108513.png

When I open Lr I can see at the top that it is using NM Lightroom 5 Catalog-2-2-2.Ircat. This catalog is the smallest one but the most recently used one. I don't understand why it is using this one rather than NM Lightroom 5 Catalog-2.Ircat which is the largest. Should I change to the latter? The blogpost suggests that Lr asks to upgrade but I do not remember getting the message below:
orpWtN4LageSAQe2qy7ucjgWLmXlRvd34E16z8Y4o71QLdGByWHMoB0qUb752CtflaqvFfbDGM3amwBrQp4_ikAppbPu9ljC3wHB8jQvpqv-aRD1DzVqH5aLkwprkZCcKyeIeZUy

Should I keep going with the 2-2-2 catalog or choose the 2 catalog? I have never chosen a catalog. I just click on the Lr shortcut on my desktop and carry on. It was only the Nov 13th blogpost that alerted me that I may be doing the wrong thing. Adobe is not exactly very helpful on this.

Nobody can tell you which catalog you should use, but you. Check the contents of the different catalogs (Lightroom will need to upgrade them before you can view them), to see what’s in there. You may indeed be using a catalog right now that does not contain all your older pictures, but if you have added images to it recently, then the other catalog may also not be fully up to date. You may need to merge them.

The only thing we can say is that Catalog 2-2-2 might be an upgraded version of 2-2, but indeed -2 is the largest, so something may have happened around the time it was last used.

Thank you.
The latest catalog upgrade 2-2-2 does appear to be complete. I don't understand why it is less than half the size of the original 2 catalog but I am going to take the advice of the blog post from Nov 13th anst continue to use the latest 2-2-2 catalog rather than get into creating a new set of catalogs ending in 3.

You are not creating a new set of catalogues. If you merge it will be just one catalogue however if 2-2-2 has everything you need then there no need to. I think we may have assumed you were missing something. That is why I delete the old catalogues and rename the latest one by getting rid of the digits. I like it tidy. Well I actually move them to another location first and make sure everything is running OK before deleting. Easy to tell the latest by the date it was created.

The latest catalog upgrade 2-2-2 does appear to be complete. I don't understand why it is less than half the size of the original 2 catalog
Adobe changed the way that information is stored. The edit history is now compressed. That reduced the size of the catalog file considerably, so maybe the old catalog was from before that change (I don't remember exactly when they did this, but it was before the 8 > 9 upgrade).

You can always go to your first folder, mid and last folder you imported and see if your edits are there. A quick visual of your files in the library will tell you what is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back