• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalog Upgrade Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandyjas

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
I have Mac OSC 10.8.4 In the future, if I want a new camera, I will have to update my OSX and get the CC LR Classic subscription. And update other applications on my computer. Will I have to upgrade my Lightroom Catalog then when I suscribe or is this now all included when I subscribe? I'm wondering, since I am at Lightroom version 5, approx. how long would this take? Minutes, hours, days? 5,000 pictures imported into LR. From Nikon D100 and D800E. mostly NEFs, some Tiff and Jpeg. Will the previews be transferred? Or does the updated catalog generate new ones? If my photos that LR points to are all on a external hard drive, will all the information on them that was in the old catalog come through to the updated catalog? When I need to update my catalog in the future, could this Board help and walk me through it? I don't feel I know my way around this enough to do it alone. I've read information on this in Victoria's FAQ Lightroom CC/6 book and in another book on LR5, but I'm still unsure and would like help. But this is all in the future.
Thank You for Any Advice or Help,

Thank You,

Sandy

When you install Classic it will create a new catalogue and merge your old catalogue into it. LR does it all, nothing to worry about. You will have two catalogues and Classic will use the new one. It end with the number 2. I moved my LR6 catalogue to a special archive drive that I rarely access.

Forgot. Make sure to take care of any broken links - question marks besides folders. Also you should know

The Preset format has changed from .lrtemplate to .xmp, so that presets are fully compatible with the Camera Raw plug-in. Their location has also changed as a result.

Source

What's New in Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 (April 2018)? | The Lightroom Queen

You should read all the updates on those blogs going back to when LR7 was introduced. Buckle up, there will a lot of changes from LR5 to LR8 :)

Having all my photos stored on a external hard drive, means all the photos will have broken links? Or do you mean just for any mistakes. Yes I will copy the link and record what all is in it and this post. Wow! that is really easy! Thank You So much for the information! And the time?

Having all my photos stored on a external hard drive, means all the photos will have broken links? Or do you mean just for any mistakes. Yes I will copy the link and record what all is in it and this post. Wow! that is really easy! Thank You So much for the information! And the time?
All operating systems except Windows use volume names for external drives. (No drive letters) As long as these volume names remain unchanged, the path to your photos stored in the Lightroom Catalog file will not get broken. You should be fine.
The time Lightroom takes to upgrade your old catalog depends upon the number of image records in the debase. No more than an hour and more likely 10-15 minutes.

Just mistakes.

For a 5000-image catalogue, the conversion ought to be done in a handful of minutes or less. Most likely less. I've upgraded to the next version for each new version from LR 1, and I've never had a transition that wasn't smooth and trouble-free.

Me neither, on any update/upgrade. I've always used one catalogue and moved folders within LR. You can move folders using the OS as long as the broken links are re-established.

All operating systems except Windows use volume names for external drives
Yes, by default Windows uses automatically assigned letters. But it can also "mount" the drive as do MacOS or Linux. It's usefull to have fixed path name.

Thank everyone for the information and links. And Thank You for the support on your experience. It does shiver my timbers to update the catalog! Thank You Very Much Again,

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back