• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

catalog update / synching worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernard Smith

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic V9.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Silly question maybe but here goes...

I have two computers .. one is a Mac which has a fully functioning Adobe set up on it ( Photoshops and Lightroom Classic ) and this is fine.

On my other computer which is a PC , I have reinstalled the Creative Cloud Desktop. and installed Photoshop and Lightroom Classic which are obviously empty of images etc. as they are brand new today.

When I go to open Lightroom Classic on the new installation on the PC for the first time it says that it has to update the catalog and I get the following message...

"We need to upgrade your catalog for use with Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic will create a new catalog file in the destination indicated below. The previews will also be moved to this location and converted for use in Lightroom Classic.

Upgrade Destination: C:\Users|bernard\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-3.lrcat

It would appear that it knows that I had it previously installed and wants to upgrade the catalog so perhaps the uninstall process didn't quite get every piece of the previous installation.

My question is this :
The address that it wants to upgrade is C which is obviously on the PC .. however I panicked and got worried that somehow , via my subscription or by the mystery that is synching it would try to upgrade the catalog on the Mac which would be disastrous.

I am hoping that the two machines ( Mac and PC ) are completely separate and can not be linked by Adobe as the catalog on the Mac is vital , whereas the PC is not.

By the way the installation on the PC is only for training and tutorial purposes any images that may possibly be used on it would NOT be on the LRC catalog on the Mac.

Hope to hear from some one to ease my mind.

Cheers
Bernard

Silly question maybe but here goes...

I have two computers .. one is a Mac which has a fully functioning Adobe set up on it ( Photoshops and Lightroom Classic ) and this is fine.

On my other computer which is a PC , I have reinstalled the Creative Cloud Desktop. and installed Photoshop and Lightroom Classic which are obviously empty of images etc. as they are brand new today.

When I go to open Lightroom Classic on the new installation on the PC for the first time it says that it has to update the catalog and I get the following message...

"We need to upgrade your catalog for use with Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic will create a new catalog file in the destination indicated below. The previews will also be moved to this location and converted for use in Lightroom Classic.

Upgrade Destination: C:\Users|bernard\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-3.lrcat

It would appear that it knows that I had it previously installed and wants to upgrade the catalog so perhaps the uninstall process didn't quite get every piece of the previous installation.

My question is this :
The address that it wants to upgrade is C which is obviously on the PC .. however I panicked and got worried that somehow , via my subscription or by the mystery that is synching it would try to upgrade the catalog on the Mac which would be disastrous.

I am hoping that the two machines ( Mac and PC ) are completely separate and can not be linked by Adobe as the catalog on the Mac is vital , whereas the PC is not.

By the way the installation on the PC is only for training and tutorial purposes any images that may possibly be used on it would NOT be on the LRC catalog on the Mac.

Hope to hear from some one to ease my mind.

Cheers
Bernard
If you had a previous installation (and thus a previous catalog) on the PC, note that catalogs are NOT removed when you uninstall the app. So when you installed the latest version it has automatically detected the older version catalog and wants to upgrade it. That's entirely your choice, upgrade or create a new catalog. There's no risk to your Mac catalog at all, but if you sync your Mac catalog to the cloud you should ensure that you do not attempt to sync any catalog from the PC (only one catalog can be the active "synced catalog").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back