• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Catalog update - NOT RESPONDING

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

Lightroom Version Number
the latest but one
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
So with a new release it has demanded I upgraded my catalog. No option to ignore. ANd now it's hung halfway through optimising. What do I do?
Feels wrong to cancel it.

Depending on how many images are in your catalog, how much editing you've done on them, how elaborate your use of keywords and collections are, optimizing and checking the integrity of the catalog can take a fair amount of time. My catalog is a bit over 100,000 images with heavy keyword use but modest regular collection use. But very heavy Publish Services use (which in the bigger scheme of things are also collecitons). When I optimize it takes 45 minutes to well over an hour.

So, perhaps you just need to be a bit more patient. But, if you regularly optimize when you exit LrC and it only takes a little time on those occasions, optimizing during catalog update should not be any different.

I've had the same thing three times. And yes I regularly do optimise. WHy won't it just let me use the old version? Can anyone suggest what to do now?

Now it's gone through twice and says unable to upgrade catalog. "Lightroom encountered problems when trying to update the format of the catalog file and cannot use this catalog in this version on Lightroom."
Adobe technote says delete .LR.catlock file which have done but to no avail.
Does this mean I have to roll back onto older version of LR and HOW do I do this? ..... (sigh).

If you catalog is on an external drive, copy it to your internal drive and try from there.

If that doesn't work, revert to your prior version of LrC. Then open that catalog, turn off LR./Cloud syncing if it's on, select all the images and "export as catalog" to generate a brand new catalog with all the same images. Then install the newer version of LrC and see if that exported catalog will convert. If it does, check to assure that all your collections, smart collections, publish services and keywords are still present.

If you catalog is on an external drive, copy it to your internal drive and try from there.

If that doesn't work, revert to your prior version of LrC. Then open that catalog, turn off LR./Cloud syncing if it's on, select all the images and "export as catalog" to generate a brand new catalog with all the same images. Then install the newer version of LrC and see if that exported catalog will convert. If it does, check to assure that all your collections, smart collections, publish services and keywords are still present.
Thanks. I have copied the catalog. Won't I have to copy other files too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back