• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Catalog or photos on ssd hd?

molluscolo

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
3.x
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi, I have 2 hard disks: one is SSD and one is HDD, and Lightroom is installed on SSD hd.
Since I have little space on the SSD hard disk, I can have on that hd only one between the catalog folder or the raw-photos folder.
Which is better between the two in order to optimize the editing speed?

Thanks

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
If you have room, put the catalogue on the SSD. All the disk-intensive stuff happens in the catalogue.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
If you have room, put the catalogue on the SSD. All the disk-intensive stuff happens in the catalogue.
What Hal said.

Also, as your photo library gets bigger the storage needed for all those photos will be much bigger than the space needed for just the catalog (and standard previews.).

Phil Burton