• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! New cameras (including the Canon R5/R6), lens profiles and bug fixes, and the ability to disable built-in lens corrections for specific new cameras. Here's the usual list

Catalog on new laptop

DougA

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
I have a new laptop which will be used primarily for travel. After installing LR, I would like to create a new catalog on the laptop which has all of the presets, preferences and plugins (but no images) from the catalog on my main desktop system. If I copy the relevant folders from /appdata/roaming on the desktop to the laptop as well as installation folders for plugins like NIK or Photomatix, then open LR on the laptop will that accomplish what I want to do, or is there another approach to take?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
The first step that I would take is to copy your master catalog file (*.lrcat) to the new computer.
You do not need to copy any images image folders unless you want to work on them separate from the master catalog.

Since your catalog on the new computer has all of the keywords, collections, but none of the images it will be identical to your master catalog file. Your master cataloged images will appear as missing on this new computer but this is as expected since you did not copy them and the folder containing them. Any images that you import to this travel catalog will be on the travel computer until you used the "Import from Another Catalog function" to merge them into the master catalog.

DougA

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
In order to keep the laptop catalog clean, I would then have to delete all the folders and collections with missing images (which would be everything)?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
You are not going to be creating folders on the new machine and any in the Folder panel of Lightroom will show as missing which is an OK state for this machine. You might want to import into these folders if you are not using a date named folder system. The same is true with collections which you might want to assign some of the new imported images.
You will not be taking up any space and simply need to ignore the urge to "tidy".

Last edited: