Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Lightroom Version
LR cc classic
Operating System
macOS 10.11 El Capitan
Hi All
I had to start one catalog from a back-up. this catalog somehow has no face recognition. The original catalog of this back-up, was on a crashed exHD with all/most (70k+ files)of the pics. The default catalog( if I open LR on laptop with no exHD attahed), is still on the laptop but has hardly (300)pictures in it. However here the "peoples view" is working. How do I merge the two so that the laptop catalog becomes the default/main catalog
Please someone help as I do not want to do a mess of this
Txs in advance

Guido

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
What do you exactly mean with "this catalog has no face recognition"?
Does the face recognition option not work?
Or are no faces taged with names? In this case maybe it's an old backup (before you tagged the faces)
I think it's best to figure this out first before merging catalogs (what is quire easy b.t.w.)

guido.coza

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Hi Roelof thank you for your reply If I have the catalog open from a old backup, newly added faces, Portraits) or not recognised as faces (No new faces detected)
If i import the same pics in the LR catalog on the laptop all faces are instantly detected as such!
My worry is now, that idf I merge the two catalogs that than face recognition is lost , or all the picture data is lost in the new one!??

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Face Detection is something that is set per catalog. Are you sure that in the catalog that doesn't detect faces you simply have not disabled face detection? Catalog Settings - Metadata - Automatically detect faces in all photos.

guido.coza

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Hello Johan
I checked it and switched it off and on again, no change!!! the strange thing is it did detect faces before. I try to attach a screen shot. I do not know what this could be??? on the original opening of the catalog it initiated the face detection automatically. Pictures/files i added afterwards seem to get completly ignored

Attachments

Hal P Anderson

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
This is probably a daft question, but when you click on the identity plate in the upper left of the LR screen, do you have Face Detection paused?

guido.coza

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
hello Hal
No it is not! I actually paused it shut down LR, opened it and switched it on again, sadly no change.
the most confusing dfor me is, when i opened this catalog from the backup for the first time, LR went thru all the faces and did a check! pictures which where added afterwards are completely ignored!!

Attachments

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
As from the version 7.3 Lightroom provides the option to find faces again, did you try this?
Scroll all the way down!

You can vote here for a 'real' reindexing option:

Maybe you find this information interesting, especialy response #37 from Alexey:

guido.coza

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Hello Roelof
After the first three lines I had a headache..
I was blond when I still had hair!! I need to ask a friend to do that as I know if i'd try, id do more harm than good, however thanks a mill for the link!!

guido.coza

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
I Still have the same problem, BUT.
today I uploaded some portraits, some where in landscape and as soon as I changed the direction(turned) the picture, they where "recognized by LR and a name given. This also when I put the pic back into the original position. I did not try to edit the new pictures, but naming them did nothing???