• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalog Merge appears to be hung

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Rodecap

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Mac OS X High Sierra 10.13.3
Lightroom 7.1

I'm in the process of moving and consolidating from multiple machines running Aperature, iPhoto, and Photos to get all pictures into one filing and catalog system. There is about 2.6gb total of pictures and some 100,000 including duplicate images.

The catalog in question has 38,000 images & I wanted to copy it into an empty catalog (create a master).

The issue that I'm having is that it seems to be hung with "Import photos and videos from Catalog Updating Stacks". It's been in that status for at least 24 hours at this point. Lightroom is still using the CPU but very little action seems to be occurring.

I'm at the point of doing a "quit or force close" on LR but would rather not if this will complete

Suggestions are appreciated.

I'd probably force quit and start over. The first thing that you need to do is check each catalog for completeness and resolve all missing images issues if there are any.
The next step would be to find the catalog that has the largest number of images and make that the master. (You do not need to start with an empty catalog) Merging everything else into the catalog with the most images means less work over all. If you don't like the name of the largest catalog file, you can rename it and the accompanying Preview Folder. When you import be sure to include the existing previews so that you do not need to rebuild previews.
Before you start merging, make sure that you have enough freespace on the primary drive and that images from merged catalog won't be filling up that primary drive and sucking away all of the used free space. LR will use the freespace to create temporary files during the import process. I'd try to start with 200-300GB free on the primary drive. If LR runs out of freespace or RAM it could hang. Hopefully you have at least 16GB of RAM and at least 4 cores. LR will not like is the system starts moving memory to the Swapfile and LR needs it back.

For some reason LR often gets buggy for me, then I reset preferences and the problem goes away. On several occasions that has not worked and I have deleted LR and reinstalled it and that solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back