• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalog merge and keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Plunkett

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Greetings,

I have 2 catalogs, 1 quite large with over 60,000 images and a newer one with only a few thousand. I haven't been able to find any advice about how large a catalog can be so I am going to assume that the upper limit to number of images isn't a problem.

My images are extensively keyworded and I make use of keyword sets to keep like type of keywords together as I am sure most everyone here does. My question is if I merge the catalogs, how is the keyword structure handled? Other than the time involved to merge, is there a difference whether I merge the big one to the smaller one or the other way around?

If the keyword hierarchies are identical, you won't have a problem. And keywords that only exist in one catalog will be merged. If the hierarchies are not the same, you risk ending up with duplicate keywords. There is no technical difference between importing big into small, or small into big. The latter is faster, of course.

Thanks for reply Johan. The hierarchies ARE NOT the same. This actually explains why I have a new catalog. In the past, I organized the physical image files in folders by subject. Now I just do it by date and let the keywording take care of everything else. In the older catalog, the keyword structure was, to put it mildly, pretty much a mess. The new catalog is well structured with and clean.

Rather than mess up the keywords, I think I'll just stay with 2 catalogs....

thanks for advice - should help keep me from making a big mess.

thanks again,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back