• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalog Loading Issue after Mac Hard Drive Replacement

JaceKessler

Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 (Catalog-2-2-v10)
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Hello,

My Mac 5K Retina suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure last Friday, and I just got it back from Apple last night. I just completed a restore of my HD files via Backblaze and had to reinstall all programs/apps, including LR via the Creative Cloud Suite. Now, when I try to open LR with my current catalog (Catalog-2-2-v10), which was last updated & backed up on Sept 30th, I get the usual message that LR needs to relaunch in order to open with that requested catalog, but LR won't open. The LR icon is showing in my dock as open/running, but it doesn't go any further. If I click on the icon to bring LR onto my screen, nothing happens. If I right click on the LR icon, I am given the option to force quit, which I have done a couple of times already. LR will open just fine to Catalog-v10 after the force quit, but it just hangs when I try to relaunch with my previous catalog.
Looking for a solution - all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jace Kessler

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
A couple of thoughts:

1. Exit LR. In Finder, navigate to the folder containing the problem catalog. Delete any .lock file you see (there probably isn't one, but check just in case):
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-c...rror-catalog-cannot-be-opened-lrcat-lock.html

Then in Finder, double-click the .lrcat file to launch LR directly on that catalog (instead of opening LR on another catalog first).

2. Try resetting LR's preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior. That article explains how to restore the old preferences if resetting doesn't help (it likely won't help, but it's easy and worth trying).

JaceKessler

John,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I did as you suggested, and yes there were two .lock files, one for the catalog in question, and one for the new v10 catalog LR created when I first launched it - I deleted both lock files and did as you instructed in your post. The issue is still present and what's happening now is that as soon as I try to open the catalog in question by clicking on it in Finder, and then launching LR, another "Catalog-2-2-v10.lock" file is immediately created, which I'm guessing is the reason for the hang?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
LR always creates a .lock file when it starts and deletes it when it exits normally. If you terminate LR abnormally, the .lock is left there. So in your case, the presence of the .lock files is a symptom, not a cause.

Did step 2 (deleting preferences) help?

Two additional thoughts:

3. Delete the <catalog> Previews.lrdata and <catalog> Helper.lrdata. These will be regenerated automatically. Perhaps LR is hanging up on accessing them. (Be sure not to delete the .lrcat file!)

4. In System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy, make sure that the LR app is granted permissions to access files and folders:

1633552142872.png

Maybe that got screwed up after doing the restore.

JaceKessler

Hey John,

Yes, I reset the preferences, but that did not help. However, I did find another catalog back-up file that I was able to unzip and it contained only the lrcat file - from the same date of 9-30-21. So when I clicked on that file as per your instructions, it worked! Thanks so much for your help. I don't post much here, but it is always a great resource when needed.

Thanks again!
Jace