• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalog in lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

oskargronvold

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
I am creating a new catalog and i am sorting my pictures and dragging them to their respective folders,
but when the pictures are dragged they are still left in the sorting folder inside lightroom,

i remember there was something you could add so the pictures go away after you drag them but how?

Please explain in more detail what you are doing, and posts screenshots if needed. Lightroom's folders are the same as the folders on disk, but Lightroom also has collections, which is something else. For example: If you drag an image from the Recent Imports into a folder, then that image will be moved to this folder, but it will remain in the Recent Imports. That's because Recent Imports is not a folder, but a collection.

I meant in the collection tab as i create a collection called sorted and when i drag pictures i want them to be removed from the sorted folder inside lightroom so i dont see whats left in that catalog this is the only way i can explain it

Collections are lists, like playlists in a music player. You can add an image to as many collections as you want. That means that dragging an image from one collection to another does not move it, but simply adds it to the collection you drag it to. If you want to remove an image from a collection, then select it and press the Delete key, or right-click it and choose ‘Remove from collection’.

That is not what i meant at all like for example if you are in library mode and you set for example you mark an image for a star and then that image is removed from catalog,

the same can be done if you sort images somehow not the same way

When you drag an image from a collection to a folder, the image is moved from whatever folder it was in to the new folder, but that image stays in the collection. This is how it works. If you want the image to be removed from that collection, you'll have to delete it manually.

That is not what i meant at all like for example if you are in library mode and you set for example you mark an image for a star and then that image is removed from catalog,
I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Like I said earlier, post a screenshot if words are not adequate to describe what you do mean.

When you drag an image from a collection to a folder, the image is moved from whatever folder it was in to the new folder, but that image stays in the collection. This is how it works. If you want the image to be removed from that collection, you'll have to delete it manually.
This is not what i meant there is a way to hide an image if its marked and then it shows when moved to another collection

This is not what i meant there is a way to hide an image if its marked and then it shows when moved to another collection
Yes, it’s called a filter. It’s the small bar just above the grid. Another way is by creating a smart collection. A smart collection populates itself based on criteria, such as ratings < one star in this example. Victoria has a free eBook about Lightroom Classic. I suggest you download it and read it.

Please explain in more detail what you are doing, and posts screenshots if needed. Lightroom's folders are the same as the folders on disk, but Lightroom also has collections, which is something else. For example: If you drag an image from the Recent Imports into a folder, then that image will be moved to this folder, but it will remain in the Recent Imports. That's because Recent Imports is not a folder, but a collection.
Johan, you might not believe this, but I have never used Collections. I know it is a very powerful tool. I remember when I first started using LR well over a decade ago, Clete and Jim and even Victoria were telling me to start using them and not rely so much on my traditional folder structure in terms of how I work with and view the images. But even after all these years, I still organize everything as folders, probably because I am a travel photographer and name folders after the trips I go on, or if it is a specific shoot I do at home, I just name it some way that makes sense. I never name folders or files with dates, as I know many daily shooting pros do (and for good reason).
I have one folder called pictures. I have one LR catalog. In that folder are literally thousands of folders and sub-folders, and each image in those folders is file and title-named in a way that makes sense to me or would even make sense to a new observer of the folder tree.
When I edit my raw files in LR, I always apply Titles, Captions and Key Words to each image. That is a lot of work, but I always do it. Therefore, if I wanted to, I could make a Collection of anything very easily. I just have never wanted to. For example, if I want to see some Rome shots, I just go to one of the many Rome folders since I have been there so many times and shot it since 1984 (and as recently as two months ago).
If I wanted a Rome Collection, and it grabbed every image that has Rome as a Key Word, it would be a collection of many thousands of raw files and TIFF files (scanned slides and negatives) shot over many decades.
I know Collections are a powerful tool. I just have never use that tool. Wait, I did use it once. Someone wanted me to send them some images shot with a particular Fuji GF lens (I have them all) for a review for a publication. So, I went into my Raw file folder and told LR to make a collection of every image shot with the 23 MM GFX. In seconds I had a thousand 23mm GF Lens images in a collection taken from hundreds of different folders. Pretty powerful.

Johan, you might not believe this, but I have never used Collections.
In the Catalog Panel there exists several “Special” Collections. These are just like Smart Collections in that the images in them meet the criteria behind the Spacial Collection. “Recent Imports” is one such special Collection. It contains images that were imported in the last import. Import new images and the contents get replace by the new most recent import. Otherwise the contents of “Recent Imports” remains constant until the next import process.

Okay, You use folders exclusivly (no collections) and you apply keywords. What I don't understand is this. What is the problem you're having?

You say:
I am creating a new catalog and i am sorting my pictures and dragging them to their respective folders,
but when the pictures are dragged they are still left in the sorting folder inside lightroom,
but this is not clear. You have a new , empty catalog.

I don't know what you mean by "I am sorting my pictures", I'm presuming you imported them but it's not clear if you used the "add" option to maintain our prior folder structure or used some other import method.

But, it seems they got into the new catalog in some way and then you dragged them. Did you grag folders or images? If folders you drageed them from the Folders panel, right? and in either case you dragged them to a folder in the folders panel. Is that correct? If any of this is incorrect, please explain in mor detail what you did.

You then go on to say "they are still left in the sorting folder". What is the "sorting folder"? There is no such thing in LrC so this must be something of your creation. Is this a folder you created or something else?

If we get a clearer picture of what you did and what the problem is then we can figure out what's going on and get you back on track.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back