Catalog import gone wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

renouj21

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I've tried to import a catalog from my laptop into my master LR catalog on my desktop, but it hasn't gone according to plan. The laptop catalog has imported in to the master catalog fine, but all the photos were on a portable drive, and the catalog on my desktop is still linked to this drive. I can see the photos on my desktop version of LR, but they have the dreaded exclamation mark against them and the "file can't be found" message. I've imported the photos onto my desktop hard drive and I thought I'd linked the catalog to this new destination, but apparently not. There are hundreds of sub folders so I really don't want to have to go through the "would you like to locate it?" option. Is there something I can do to retrieve the situation? Many thanks. J

But how? The folders aren't in the LR catalog list (on the left side). They're on my hard drive, but they haven't shown up in the LR catalog list. Yet all the photos are visible in the library module. If I try and drag the folders into LR they come across as an entirely new import, without the imported catalog data.

But how? The folders aren't in the LR catalog list (on the left side). They're on my hard drive, but they haven't shown up in the LR catalog list. Yet all the photos are visible in the library module. If I try and drag the folders into LR they come across as an entirely new import, without the imported catalog data.
If an image is shown in Lightroom, then it must be in a folder in Lightroom too. There is no way that an image can be shown in the library module without being in some folder in the folder panel. Select an image and choose 'Library - Go to Folder in Library'.

It goes to the portable hard drive, greyed out because it is not plugged in to the desktop
So follow the instructions in the link I gave you to relink that 'missing' folder to the copy you made on your hard drive. If you did not make a copy yet (your initial post is a bit vague) then do this first.

The trouble is there is no option to right click on the missing drive. I can only right click on the folders within it, and there are more than a 100 of those. It doesn't seem possible to relink an entire drive to its new location.

The trouble is there is no option to right click on the missing drive. I can only right click on the folders within it, and there are more than a 100 of those. It doesn't seem possible to relink an entire drive to its new location.
Reconnecting a folder will automatically reconnect all its subfolders. I doubt you have 100 folders all at the same hierarchy level, so I doubt you really have this problem.

I'm afraid I do: a different folder for each day. They were originally organised within months, but for some reason I don't understand that higher level of the hierarchy wasn't transferred over. Obviously I did something wrong there. Anyway, thanks for clarifying - I will just have to manually reconnect each folder.

Are those folders actually on the root level of the drive? What happens if you control-click on one of them and choose "Show parent folder" from the context menu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back