Catalog handling

Status
Not open for further replies.

lnicole

Back more than 1' years ago, I developed and maintained the photo archives for a product photo studio I worked for. we used Canto's Cumulus. I also used their single user version for some time for my personal work. I stopped using it when OSX came out as I didn't like their changes.

Anyway - to the point. One thing I really liked about Cumulus is that you could have several catalogs open at once. You could drag images between catalogs. Actually, the file stayed put, but the reference was moved to a different catalog.

For a couple of weeks, I've been studying the different systems set up by various photographers to archive their files. Many of them involve complicated duplicating archive systems in order to have separate catalogs of say their family files, travel shoots, and their final portfolio picks. In the end, they may have the same image in 3 archives.

From my experience, using a database this way leads to problems and break down eventually. (What if you edit the file in one - will you remember to update it in all?) I worked in pro photo labs where we archived our client's neg's. It's always been ingrained in me to keep the neg's chronological, file the proofs to subject. Same idea for a digital database.

I don't want to break apart my chronological database, but I do want separate catalogs.

I really, really wish Lightroom would take a page from Cumulus and allow multiple catalogs to be open at once and to be able to drag file references between catalogs.

Hi,

I was following along w/ your description right up to the last statement. Why do you want to have separate catalogs? What do you expect to gain from what to many of us seems an added complication. With the use of keywords and smart collections, you can effectively have as many virtual catalogs as you like w/o having to maintain multiple catalogs. It gives you many different views of the database w/o having to lock images to a particular catalog. Not really trying to tell you how to run your operation, just curious as to your thinking. Cheers,

Just noticed that you've got another thread going on the same topic. These two threads should be combined. Cheers,

Yes, I do have another thread on a the same aspect of the subject. I started here as it was a feature request. It seemed like actually discussing how to set up your database / file structure belonged in the general discussion area.

Well, I used to use Cumulus and it worked really well. You weren't making multiple archives, just separate catalogs. I've been reading a lot of people's workflows online and there seems to be a split between those who say use one catalog and those who say split them up. I think it can be nice to have multiple catalogs of things that are totally unrelated, but I don't want to have duplicate files.

Anyway. I'm not going to elaborate too much here as you say a similar subject is going on in the general discussion, but I still say that it would be a nice feature for those who do like to have multiple catalogs.

lnicole, just in case you're not aware, this forum isn't formally affiliated with Adobe in any way. At this point in a feature request thread, we normally recommend that you file an Official Feature Request directly with Adobe. The link for that is available at the top of the thread. I believe your request is well known to Adobe, but we believe it doesn't hurt to duplicate requests on the theory that frequency of request plays some role in setting development priorities.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW, am I misunderstanding something about catalogs? I noticed yesterday that I can choose to export files as a catalog and deselect include negatives - but I tried a test and the files were copied over anyway. I looked in the manual trying to figure out how this works, but didn't come up with an answer.

I agree that LR would benefit from multiple open data bases. I use Microsoft Expression Media and used iView Multi-Media before it was sold. Cut and Paste between open catalogs, and searching all open catalogs are great features. Having multiple databases gives great peace of mind. At my day job, utilizing an Expression Media work flow to catalog, select and finally place images in over 1'' calendars and several coffee table books has provided tremendous productivity gains. For my personal photography, I use EM for first edits and archiving, LR for adjustments, export to Photoshop and printing.

Also, in comparing EM and LR, I find the editing features to be more intuitive and the light table feature which allows up to 6-up side-by-side comparisons as high as 16''% in unison or independently to be more useful than compare view in LR.

JimK

[quote author=jimkahnw link=topic=8'4'.msg55485#msg55485 date=1256154249]
I agree that LR would benefit from multiple open data bases. I use Microsoft Expression Media and used iView Multi-Media before it was sold. Cut and Paste between open catalogs, and searching all open catalogs are great features. Having multiple databases gives great peace of mind. At my day job, utilizing an Expression Media work flow to catalog, select and finally place images in over 1'' calendars and several coffee table books has provided tremendous productivity gains. For my personal photography, I use EM for first edits and archiving, LR for adjustments, export to Photoshop and printing.

Also, in comparing EM and LR, I find the editing features to be more intuitive and the light table feature which allows up to 6-up side-by-side comparisons as high as 16''% in unison or independently to be more useful than compare view in LR.

JimK
[/quote]
Jim you can certainly place feature requests using the link in the tool bar above.

I have several catalogues. When launching LR I would like to be shown a list of my catalogues and asked to select which one I would like to open.

Having to relaunch LR to work in a different catalogue seems silly

You can. Edit your Preferences (General tab) and change your Default Catalog setting to "Prompt me when starting Lightroom". Subsequent startups you will be presented with the option to choose which of your catalogs to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back