• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalog Corrupted During Upgrade to v11

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbarick

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 11
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
First, let me get it out of the way that I know I am an idiot because I didn't back up. In my defense, I doubt that would change my situation.

In upgrading to version 11, I never even stopped to consider that Lightroom did the same thing to me when I went from v9 to v10. At that point, I hadn't accomplished much and it was merely an inconvenience. Now, ~25.000 images and a decent folder structure later, it is a different story. When Lightroom said that it couldn't upgrade my catalog, I immediately rolled back to v10.4, which then refused to open the catalog also, even though I used the old catalog, and not the one with -v11 appended to it. About 8 hours of trying different things later, here I am. The reason I said that the backups would not have helped me is that I likely would have just thrown the backup file at the new version only to have it end up corrupted, and I would have been in the same boat I am right now.

After you finish laughing at me, are there any suggestions available that might actually help me? This is my work catalog, so there is the possibility of trying to buy my way out of this mess if someone can manually make any corrections to the .lrcat file, itself. I'm looking at a couple of weeks worth of work re editing and organizing everything otherwise, and that's if I didn't have anything else to do here.

First, let me get it out of the way that I know I am an idiot because I didn't back up. In my defense, I doubt that would change my situation.

In upgrading to version 11, I never even stopped to consider that Lightroom did the same thing to me when I went from v9 to v10. At that point, I hadn't accomplished much and it was merely an inconvenience. Now, ~25.000 images and a decent folder structure later, it is a different story. When Lightroom said that it couldn't upgrade my catalog, I immediately rolled back to v10.4, which then refused to open the catalog also, even though I used the old catalog, and not the one with -v11 appended to it. About 8 hours of trying different things later, here I am. The reason I said that the backups would not have helped me is that I likely would have just thrown the backup file at the new version only to have it end up corrupted, and I would have been in the same boat I am right now.

After you finish laughing at me, are there any suggestions available that might actually help me? This is my work catalog, so there is the possibility of trying to buy my way out of this mess if someone can manually make any corrections to the .lrcat file, itself. I'm looking at a couple of weeks worth of work re editing and organizing everything otherwise, and that's if I didn't have anything else to do here.

I doubt that Lightroom 11 did anything to your v10 catalog. First All Lightroom upgrades ever do is READ the old version of the catalog. Once the data is collected from the old database structure, it is converted to the new database structure and written as a new catalog file.

It sounds like your latest v10 catalog file has gotten corrupt. If so, it was corrupt long before Lightroom Classic 11 was present.

Backing up a catalog file is simple and quick. You are correct, there is no excuse for not making a catalog backup every time you exit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt that Lightroom 11 did anything to your v10 catalog. First All Lightroom upgrades ever do is READ the old version of the catalog. Once the data is collected from the old database structure, it is converted to the new database structure and written as a new catalog file.

It sounds like your latest v10 catalog file has gotten corrupt. If so, it was corrupt long before Lightroom Classic 11 was present.

Backing up a catalog file is simple and quick. You are correct, there is no excuse for not making a catalog backup every time you exit.

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. I really didn't think I could feel any worse than I already did, but you showed me that I was wrong.

Where I work, everyone is given backup space on the server except for me. I only have the hardware to work with that I am given, and space for backups has not been one of their priorities in the area of photography. They are far more concerned with financial records being backed up than photography stuff.

I already know that this is all my fault, but what is it that causes a catalog that works for a year or more with no problems to only show as corrupt when an update comes along? I would think that Lightroom would give some kind of warning, other than the reminder to backup. And back to my original post, would it have made a difference if I had backed up? Or would I have just stupidly done the same thing with the backup file and had two corrupted libraries.

I was under the impression that I actually might receive some sort of help here, and not just be ridiculed for my ignorance.

Thank you for your quick and helpful response. I really didn't think I could feel any worse than I already did, but you showed me that I was wrong.

Where I work, everyone is given backup space on the server except for me. I only have the hardware to work with that I am given, and space for backups has not been one of their priorities in the area of photography. They are far more concerned with financial records being backed up than photography stuff.

I already know that this is all my fault, but what is it that causes a catalog that works for a year or more with no problems to only show as corrupt when an update comes along? I would think that Lightroom would give some kind of warning, other than the reminder to backup. And back to my original post, would it have made a difference if I had backed up? Or would I have just stupidly done the same thing with the backup file and had two corrupted libraries.

I was under the impression that I actually might receive some sort of help here, and not just be ridiculed for my ignorance.

Sorry if I came across as ridiculing. The backup that Lightroom offers on exit is not really a backup like for your companies financial data. But it is snap shot copies of your catalog file (that can be stored locally to help you recover from a corrupt catalog. It will not however let you recover from a crass EHD disk drive unless you put the catalog on a different drive. You need to backup image files as well since the Lightroom Backup only backs up the catalog and not the images them selves.

There are some people here that have access to an Adobe database person that has had some luck in recovering corrupted catalog files. I can’t speak for them so I did not offer that kind of help.

If you have been a Lightroom Forum user for very long you will have seen that people repeatedly show up here with catalogs that won’t open and were not able to follow the Lightroom recommendations to make a snapshot backup on exiting Lightroom. I would have hoped that you would have learned the hard lessons that others have learned without having to repeat them.

I already know that this is all my fault
Failing to make backups is your fault, but catalog corruption isn't (presumably).
what is it that causes a catalog that works for a year or more with no problems to only show as corrupt when an update comes along?
That seems an odd coincidence, especially when you say that the same thing happened when upgrading from version 9 to 10. Makes me wonder if something else is going on? Hard to say without detailed knowledge of your situation though.
would it have made a difference if I had backed up? Or would I have just stupidly done the same thing with the backup file and had two corrupted libraries.
If you had a backup, you would copy it from the backup location to your working directory before trying to open it. So if it somehow became corrupted during the opening or upgrading process, you would still have the backup version safely stored elsewhere. So yes, it would make a difference.

If, however, the old catalog was already corrupted before this saga started (which is also possible), then the backed up copy would also be corrupted. This is why regular backups are used - you would have to try older backup files to find one that was not problematic.
I actually might receive some sort of help here
I think the most help that can be given is as Cletus has already suggested - there are threads somewhere here where people have sometimes had luck with fixing corrupted catalogs, so have a search.

Edit: I've just seen this thread which might offer further insight:

Having problem with switching to Version 11 LRC

not just be ridiculed for my ignorance.
No "ridicule" evident to this reader, just straight talk about the importance of backups. I think we can certainly understand that it is no fun to hear, though.

Sorry can't be more helpful.

Last edited:
No "ridicule" evident to this reader, just straight talk about the importance of backups. I think we can certainly understand that it is no fun to hear, though.

I used to be amazed when I read threads about corrupted catalogs and without proper backup. No longer, because so many people don't practice good data hygiene. Folks, disk space is cheap, a lot cheaper than your time, not to mention the angina that occurs when you discover that your corrupted catalog cannot be recovered.

Do you clean your lenses? Do you clean your camera sensor? Do you use lenscaps? You should also be doing a Lightroom backup every single time you import or edit photos.

Phil Burton

Look, even the OP admits "an idiot because I didn't back up". The only purpose further admonitions will serve is if some other poor user reads this post and realizes they don't want to follow in the steps of the OP.

One thing about this user forum is that we don't harangue.

Only Paul McFarlane. can possibly help with the repair. Send him a Forum Message and sent only the catalog to [email protected], compress the catalog first and send by WeTransfer.

Failing to make backups is your fault, but catalog corruption isn't (presumably).

That seems an odd coincidence, especially when you say that the same thing happened when upgrading from version 9 to 10. Makes me wonder if something else is going on? Hard to say without detailed knowledge of your situation though.

If you had a backup, you would copy it from the backup location to your working directory before trying to open it. So if it somehow became corrupted during the opening or upgrading process, you would still have the backup version safely stored elsewhere. So yes, it would make a difference.

If, however, the old catalog was already corrupted before this saga started (which is also possible), then the backed up copy would also be corrupted. This is why regular backups are used - you would have to try older backup files to find one that was not problematic.

I think the most help that can be given is as Cletus has already suggested - there are threads somewhere here where people have sometimes had luck with fixing corrupted catalogs, so have a search.

Edit: I've just seen this thread which might offer further insight:

Having problem with switching to Version 11 LRC

Thank you for your very helpful reply. This is truly what I expected to see when I first posted my issue. I do thank you very much for going into such detail to assist me in my dilemma.

I already know the importance of backups, I tried to make that clear with my first post. I was simply hoping I could actually learn something rather than being reminded of my own failures, after I had clearly admitted them.

Once again, your reply is greatly appreciated.

I've just come across this thread, just wanted to make sure we've had a look at your catalog to see if it's recoverable? If not, drop it over.

I've just come across this thread, just wanted to make sure we've had a look at your catalog to see if it's recoverable? If not, drop it over.
I do appreciate all of the help that I have received. I did send a link to Adobe, but they were unable to do anything with it. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it is gone, and I have begun the process of rebuilding the file structure at least. I'm not sure how to get the file to you. Here's a link: https://tcoghq-my.sharepoint.com/:u...room and Windows-v10.zip?csf=1&web=1&e=vDxYKT

If I need to do something else, please let me know.

Thanks again

I do appreciate all of the help that I have received. I did send a link to Adobe
Hi
Unfortunately, they will have tried using the same tool as we would have tested with. So, not able to assist, sorry!

I do appreciate all of the help that I have received. I did send a link to Adobe, but they were unable to do anything with it. I have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that it is gone, and I have begun the process of rebuilding the file structure at least. I'm not sure how to get the file to you. Here's a link: https://tcoghq-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/r/personal/kbarick_thechurchofgod_org/Documents/Public/Stupid Lightroom and Windows-v10.zip?csf=1&web=1&e=vDxYKT

If I need to do something else, please let me know.

Thanks again
You are so AWESOME!

Thank you very much!

I promise that I will always do backups, even if I have to buy my own external drive for work! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back