• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Catalog and New update

Status
Not open for further replies.

krypton

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Good Morning, Yesterday was really the first time I went back to use LR sense the recent update. During the update it asked to roll in my current catalog (and only catalog) into the new update. When I went use LR after the update I noticed a few issues, which I need some help sorting out.
1 Image folder/files appear in my catalog list and not in my library. I see them in my folders of catalog items and when I switch modules the aren't there.
2. When I go import the files over again into the catalog it will let me do that, as if they aren't in the catalog at all.

I guess my question is why? When some folders are just fine when others are not.... I have to ask what am I missing?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance
Charlie

Image folder/files appear in my catalog list and not in my library. I see them in my folders of catalog items and when I switch modules the aren't there.

Could you post a screenshot to illustrate the problem? I'm not sure what you mean with this.

I have attached two screen shots. One with the library open G: catalog and the other import from my H: source. You can see that folders appear on the G: list, however not on the H: drive. And when I go to the library module to work with images in lets see 8 Deer Meado isn't listed. So I thought to my self import it, but it is listed on the import destination my catalog G: drive. Both drives are external, the H is for my initial off load and G: importing into LR as a catalog drive.

Attachments

• Import.jpg
    Import.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 152
  • Library 1.jpg
    Library 1.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 142
I’m still not sure I understand the problem. Lightroom is not a browser. It only shows those folders in the folder panel that contain images that have been imported. So if the folder panel does not show ‘8 Deer Meado’, then that is because there are no images in that folder that have been imported already.

In the import dialog Lightroom will show all folders that are on your drive, including folders that are not yet in the folder panel. After all, you may want to copy images into such folder during import. That is why the import dialog does show ‘8 Deer Meado’. Because you have not selected a source, the import panel does not show any images.

Ive also attached a screen shot of both drives, you can see that many folders listed in the G: drive are not listed in the LR catalog when it updated. Am I missing something simple?

Attachments

• Drive Catalog H.jpg
    Drive Catalog H.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 131
  • Drive Catalog G.jpg
    Drive Catalog G.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 125
I’m still not sure I understand the problem. Lightroom is not a browser. It only shows those folders in the folder panel that contain images that have been imported. So if the folder panel does not show ‘8 Deer Meado’, then that is because there are no images in that folder that have been imported already.

In the import dialog Lightroom will show all folders that are on your drive, including folders that are not yet in the folder panel. After all, you may want to copy images into such folder during import. That is why the import dialog does show ‘8 Deer Meado’. Because you have not selected a source, the import panel does not show any images.
Johan, Let me see if I have made this more difficult than need be. I off load my images to my H drive. Then in LR I import then in and copy them to G: I had a client call last night wanting a edit and went into LR and couldn't find it. So I thought just reimport from my H drive. and when I went to do this I could see it already listed on the destination drive which is G, but it was not listed in LR in the library view

Ive also attached a screen shot of both drives, you can see that many folders listed in the G: drive are not listed in the LR catalog when it updated. Am I missing something simple?
Yes, you are. Like I said, Lightroom is not a browser. It does not show all the folders on a certain drive, but only the folders that contain images that it has imported. If you see a folder on your drive that is not shown in Lightroom, then that simply means there isn’t any image in that folder that has already been imported. Whether the upgrade made Lightroom ‘forget’ folders I cannot tell. There are some vague reports about upgrade problems, however.

Johan, Let me see if I have made this more difficult than need be. I off load my images to my H drive. Then in LR I import then in and copy them to G: I had a client call last night wanting a edit and went into LR and couldn't find it. So I thought just reimport from my H drive. and when I went to do this I could see it already listed on the destination drive which is G, but it was not listed in LR in the library view
How can you see an image listed in Lightroom if not in the library view? Or do you mean that the folder was already listed, but that particular image could not be found in Lightroom? That would mean that you did not yet import that image in Lightroom, but some other image in the same folder was imported and so the folder is listed. Simply try to import it and see what happens. Again, there are some vague reports about upgrade problems, so I cannot say that the upgrade did not cause this, even though I have never seen anything like that.

I was just thinking. If you always use the workflow from H to G, so the G drive cannot possibly contain any folders that Lightroom did not create or fill with images coming from H, then there is clearly something wrong. You could try upgrading he old catalog again to see if that gives a different result. Or downgrade to Lightroom 8.4 and your old catalog and wait till an update of Lightroom 9 comes out that mentions this problem and solves it.

Johan, Thank you for helping me sort this out. I did import them and renamed the file with success. This all startled me because I was only looking at the folder and trying to find it in my library. I had all-ready worked the images months ago and surly would find it in LR and in my library. But to my surprise it wasn't there. Then thinking Ok just reimport it from H drive. Thats is when I discovered the folder listed in my destination panel G drive and not in my library panel on G drive, so I could not open it to work with the images because it wasnt listed in the library view.

I was just thinking. If you always use the workflow from H to G, so the G drive cannot possibly contain any folders that Lightroom did not create or fill with images coming from H, then there is clearly something wrong. You could try upgrading he old catalog again to see if that gives a different result. Or downgrade to Lightroom 8.4 and your old catalog and wait till an update of Lightroom 9 comes out that mentions this problem and solves it.
Johan, Thank you for helping me sort this out. I did import them and renamed the file with success. This all startled me because I was only looking at the folder and trying to find it in my library. I had all-ready worked the images months ago and surly would find it in LR and in my library. But to my surprise it wasn't there. Then thinking Ok just reimport it from H drive. Thats is when I discovered the folder listed in my destination panel G drive and not in my library panel on G drive, so I could not open it to work with the images because it wasnt listed in the library view.

Here is another example, the original listed on H drive and also listed in the destination folder G: However when you go to the library view to select it to work on it is not listed. Also when I upgraded you cant undo the upgrade to your catalog...but I did make a copy

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 123
Here is another example, the original listed on H drive and also listed in the destination folder G: However when you go to the library view to select it to work on it is not listed.
If you are sure that you did import these before, then that does not look good.

Also when I upgraded you cant undo the upgrade to your catalog...but I did make a copy
The upgraded catalog is always a copy, so the old copy should still be there as well. And if you don't want to have to generate new previews, then you can rename the previews back to match the old catalog name. Previews are simply renamed during an upgrade.

If you are sure that you did import these before, then that does not look good.

The upgraded catalog is always a copy, so the old copy should still be there as well. And if you don't want to have to generate new previews, then you can rename the previews back to match the old catalog name. Previews are simply renamed during an upgrade.
Thank you again Johan. Im quite sure that they were already imported. The fact it appears in the destination pane for importing confirms the fact and equal alarming is it's failure to propagate in the library module. The one saving grace to the whole dilemma is that I still can import it and LR dosent recognize it a a duplicate file/folder. Can you please share this with your contacts at adobe...I would be grateful. Thank you again Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back